All-Star Have You Ever Heard Or Seen A High School Team That All Athletes Could Be A Base & Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheersafety

Cheer Parent
Jan 7, 2010
Have you ever heard of or seen a high school team that all athletes could be a base & a flyer?

With the exception of one girl...mine. We switch around a lot just to see if anyone is secretly a natural hahaha.

You know, Courtney was (actually still is imo) pretty good about this. I think it can be incredibly helpful for both bases and flyers to switch so that they get an idea of what it's like "on the other side" if that makes sense?

You know, Courtney was (actually still is imo) pretty good about this. I think it can be incredibly helpful for both bases and flyers to switch so that they get an idea of what it's like "on the other side" if that makes sense?
i know my years of basing experience has really helped with learning to hold my weight and stuff.
its given me more sympathy for my bases and my flyers.

just asking since a coach is claiming her whole team can be a base or a flyer equally well doing extensions, double downs, basket tosses

just asking since a coach is claiming her whole team can be a base or a flyer equally well doing extensions, double downs, basket tosses

i was wondering if the question was rhetorical. while it is possible that at bases have at one point all flown AND flys at one point have been bases it would be highly impractical to have a team built like that anyway (and still be competitive).

i think it is much more believable on a high school team than say, a highly competitive all star team.

my senior year of high school, our team was made of entirely flyers.. meaning at one point in life, between pop warner, rec, and all stars every single girl on that team had been a flyer on a competitive team for at least one whole season. it became extremely challenging to create solid stunts when the tallest on the entire team was 5'4" and the heaviest girl was 120lbs at the most. it took a long time to figure out who could base/backspot and who was the best in the air. eventually we made it work and had a pretty solid level 4/5 high school routine.

like kingston said it really is impractical. the only positive was if anyone got hurt, there were 27 other girls who you could throw in the air who knew what they were doing.

We have a new flyer that has always been a base and she got a prep double on her second try and a double basket on her first. She is the only person I have ever seen be such a natural flyer. Other than her, we have had, I think, two other girls become flyers due to quick changes but they went back to basing afterwards.

My high school team during football season could change flyers without a problem. No matter the size of the girl, she flew.

i base and fly on my HS team. some of the girls are taller, so they probably couldn't fly unless they held their weight really well. but we do switch around alot to get the feel.

Just like everyone's saying it's more common on a high school team. In all star, if someone is out for a competition they can just pull from another team to have someone double compete. But in high school, unless you have a good number of alternates, you have to make due with what you have!

A coach was explaining that every athlete could base and fly on her team. I had never seen a team like that. I know some people are exceptional and can do both or at least to some degree but I found it improbable that a high school would have 15 athletes that could do both interchangeably.

Back