High School Hazing In High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I know that another thread was created a while back about hazing in college cheer, but I was wondering, is this a problem in high school cheer? I've heard horror stories about hazing in other high school sports, and I was wondering if it has spread to cheer (my guess is yes, but I want other people's input).

I know that another thread was created a while back about hazing in college cheer, but I was wondering, is this a problem in high school cheer? I've heard horror stories about hazing in other high school sports, and I was wondering if it has spread to cheer (my guess is yes, but I want other people's input).

Nationwide, I can't tell ya.

In my program: it better not be.

Prior to taking over the program, the previous coach made buddies with the seniors and allowed them to get away with murder. So, it would not surprise me if it was an accepted practice at that time. Of course, what else would you expect from a woman who was carrying on her extramarital affair in the cheer office (I got rid of that desk). She also provided the alcohol for the post nationals Disney world party.

Prior to taking over the program, the previous coach made buddies with the seniors and allowed them to get away with murder. So, it would not surprise me if it was an accepted practice at that time. Of course, what else would you expect from a woman who was carrying on her extramarital affair in the cheer office (I got rid of that desk). She also provided the alcohol for the post nationals Disney world party.
SMH. That is just messy.

When I was in high school there was hazing. It was little stuff - like freshman had to wear animal masks the first day of camp that said fresh meat on them. The underclassman always had to take the dishes of the upper classman at camp meals. Freshman having to eat a sardine. The biggest I remember was when I was a junior. The freshman were kidnapped and taken to the park playground next to the school around midnight. They were blindfolded and had to go through a messy obstacle course, like crawl through the tunnel of chocolate sauce l, shaving cream slip in slide, etc. It was followed by a team sleepover. Back then it was innocent, now a days that would probably be a huge national story. That was the last year of hazing. My senior year was a year that hazing nationally became a big thing.

Our school system that I coach in has a zero tolerance policy. You will be fired and your season will be cancelled if there is any hazing. As far as I know our system as a whole doesn't have any. It wouldn't shock me though if the football or basketball teams do under the radar. It was just a few years ago that the football team had to stop shaving freshman heads.

I wish there was a shocked/disgusted emoji. A shimmy and like just don't seem appropriate here!

Remeber the Texas Cheerleading Scandal? That involed a lot hazing as well. It wasn't that long along when it happened. It happened when I was in my last year of middle school. I still remember the actual news reports.

Then there was a case before my time about a drunk high school cheerleader who went to a party and ended up getting raped by the entire football team. This was some school in Chigaco.

So yes high school hazing happens. Maybe not as much as other sports but it does happen.

When I was in high school there was hazing. It was little stuff - like freshman had to wear animal masks the first day of camp that said fresh meat on them. The underclassman always had to take the dishes of the upper classman at camp meals. Freshman having to eat a sardine. The biggest I remember was when I was a junior. The freshman were kidnapped and taken to the park playground next to the school around midnight. They were blindfolded and had to go through a messy obstacle course, like crawl through the tunnel of chocolate sauce l, shaving cream slip in slide, etc. It was followed by a team sleepover. Back then it was innocent, now a days that would probably be a huge national story. That was the last year of hazing. My senior year was a year that hazing nationally became a big thing.

Our school system that I coach in has a zero tolerance policy. You will be fired and your season will be cancelled if there is any hazing. As far as I know our system as a whole doesn't have any. It wouldn't shock me though if the football or basketball teams do under the radar. It was just a few years ago that the football team had to stop shaving freshman heads.
I like the idea of initial rituals foe prestigious groups, but the problem is that they can escalate, so I see the reason for zero tolerance policy.

Remeber the Texas Cheerleading Scandal? That involed a lot hazing as well. It wasn't that long along when it happened. It happened when I was in my last year of middle school. I still remember the actual news reports.
Is this the lifetime movie about mean girls running the squad (one was principals daughter if I remember correctly) or is that something else?

Is this the lifetime movie about mean girls running the squad (one was principals daughter if I remember correctly) or is that something else?
Yes that's the one. It happened sometime between 2006-2008 my last year in middle school was 08. So that's when I'm pretty sure it happened. They're whole entirely squad (same school and team) recently in 2013 got suspended for the remainder of the year cause of bullying. Forgot where I saw that information.

Yup. The leader of the Fab 5, her mom was the principal. All of the girls had influential parents, which is why they were allowed to get away with making lewd videos in uniform, assaulting other students, having their attendance records altered,etc. I was horrendous and a woman (her naw is escaping me), I think she was/is editor of American Cheerleader Magazine, had to go on the news to let the country know that not all cheerleaders are like that.

OH my Lord, and now I am officially freaked out by this whole thing.

Not going on over this way.

I can tell you that whenever I have seen these types of incidents happen, they're at schools where the "coach" is a young cheer program alumna who is coaching kids she may or may not have cheered with or be quite close in age with. Too much trying to be best friends and still act like members of the team, not enough boundaries.

Back