All-Star Health Awareness Esp In Athletes, Read Please

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Addendum:

I am in NO WAY inferring that anyone out here run out and stop taking their prescriptions. It's just best that you have a heart-to-heart with your doctor and consider all of your treatments options all the while considering efficacy, dosing, cost, and side effects, among others. Had I considered the SE's more, I may not be in the position I am in at this moment.

@ShoWStoppeR , you have brought to attention something MANY young girls are at risk of now, more than ever. Something so small they take for a variety of reasons- from acne to severe PMDD, oral contraceptives have proven dangerous to many a bright, talented young woman, such as my Dad's Girlfriend's Daughter Melanie.

Melanie was a young woman of 20, barely older than some of you on here. She was taking Yaz, a prescription oral contraceptive. One day, she was getting ready to go swimming with her friend Lauren when she began having trouble breathing. As it began to get worse, she called her friend over. When Lauren arrived, she promptly called for an ambulance to bring Melanie to the hospital. However, it quickly became too late to do anything: Melanie had had a pulmonary embolism (caused by the Yaz), and her brain had become starved of oxygen. She died the next day. It was only in the next few weeks that they discovered her and her sisters shouldn't have been taking it in the first place due to some factor in their blood that makes them susceptible to clotting. A test COULD have been performed to find out WAY before anything happened, but no doctor ever suggested it. I beg you all, CHECK with your doctors about your medication's side effects. KNOW your risks, even if your doctor brushes them off. While pills like Yaz/Yasmin/Beyaz are being pulled (for this reason among others), other pills of their type will definitely take their place. ESPECIALLY girls, because so many people take them for reasons OTHER than why they're prescribed (help clears their skin or hormonal reasons), yet one tiny once-a-day pill can be deadly. While you may not have had problems, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I actually was at the doctor today, and she discussed the options of non estrogen oral contraceptives (estrogen is what will cause the blood clots to form but is normally helped by a genetic disorder) I had gotten my oral contraceptives at the health center after discussing it with my mom, and when I was there, they never once told me about my other options, nor talked about genetic disorders with blood clots that would be a red flag to not being allowed to take it. I feel like at this point, it has become such a common thing for young girls to do, that they tend to skip steps and hand it out like it's candy. That's a problem. I know I sure got alot of doctors attention because of my age, but if people aren't more careful, seeing girls my age with the same problem is going to unfortunately become a more common thing.

Back