Help Me Pick A Gym!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What Gym Should I Choose?

• Total voters
Dec 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

Here's the story:
I'm moving to North Carolina in the summer of 2016, and I need to pick a gym to cheer at for the upcoming season because I'm going to prepare a video tryout because I'll miss the real ones in May. I've done a ton of research, and the two gyms I've come down to are Rockstar Cheer and Cheer Extreme. They both are amazing programs, I know that, and they're both exactly 40 minutes away from my new house. And in terms of price, the monthly fees are 10 or 15 dollars apart. Both of the programs would be in the Raleigh locations. I know Rockstar Raleigh just became part of the program this season, as they were Elite Cheer before. I saw they just had a clean sweep at a Cheer Limited comp, and they have like 5 D2 Summit bids already, and all they need are dance bids to have the whole gym going to a Summit. I haven't heard much about Cheer Extreme Raleigh recently except for SSX getting a bid to Worlds, but I know just by common knowledge Cheer Extreme is a great gym. And additionally, my stunting is relatively good, so while my tumbling isn't as strong, I could easily excel being on a Senior 2/3/4 team . Honestly I can't choose. Please comment and vote below for the gym you think I should cheer at and why. Thanks in advance :)

IG:
Cheer Extreme- @cheerextremeraleigh
Rockstar Cheer- @rockstar.raleigh

A gym is a very personal decision to be made between you and your family, not an Internet vote.

You also may want to visit both programs, meet staff, and go to an open gym or a class before making a decision.

Summit bids, titles, etc. don't tell you whether you'll mesh with their coaching styles, philosophies, etc.

A gym is a very personal decision to be made between you and your family, not an Internet vote.

You also may want to visit both programs, meet staff, and go to an open gym or a class before making a decision.

Summit bids, titles, etc. don't tell you whether you'll mesh with their coaching styles, philosophies, etc.

I know, this vote is mostly just to have a second opinion. My family honestly doesn't care that much, as long as they see me succeed, and I won't be in NC until June. And also, I know it's not all about the title, but then again, some of it is, you know? That's why I mentioned it.

Cheer extreme is part of a multi-location gym, and Raleigh is one of the larger locations. If Rockstar is getting D2 bids, then it's a smaller gym, but there are other Rockstars around the country. So they are both multi location gyms, but the Cheer extreme location is probably bigger than the Rockstar location. Have you checked out the websites? Facilities are also important. Do both gyms have everything you want in mats and other equipment? It sounds like this new Rockstar is competing in the D2 divisions. Do you want to compete D1, or are you fine with D2? Cheer extreme often has people double team, but you don't have to. So if you want to double team, then Cheer extreme would be better. But most of all, which coaches do you get along with better? Whose coaching styles fit yours?

You mentioned that your stunting is better than tumbling, are either of these places going to field a 4.2? That sounds like it might be a good level for you.

Cheer extreme is part of a multi-location gym, and Raleigh is one of the larger locations. If Rockstar is getting D2 bids, then it's a smaller gym, but there are other Rockstars around the country. So they are both multi location gyms, but the Cheer extreme location is probably bigger than the Rockstar location. Have you checked out the websites? Facilities are also important. Do both gyms have everything you want in mats and other equipment? It sounds like this new Rockstar is competing in the D2 divisions. Do you want to compete D1, or are you fine with D2? Cheer extreme often has people double team, but you don't have to. So if you want to double team, then Cheer extreme would be better. But most of all, which coaches do you get along with better? Whose coaching styles fit yours?
Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with D2 or D1. Both of the locations have pretty nice gyms, and I haven't met coaches yet, but usually I like to be yelled at by a tougher coach because I'd rather know what's wrong with what I'm doing at that moment. And I don't mind crossing over at all, it's just more friends to make.

You mentioned that your stunting is better than tumbling, are either of these places going to field a 4.2? That sounds like it might be a good level for you.
I know Rockstar doesn't, they have Senior 1 and 5r as of right now. And I think Cheer Extreme has Senior 2, 3, 4, 5, and 5r, but I'm not completely sure about 4.2. That may be at another location.

1, but I do have (pretty shady) RO 2 back handsprings and went to stunting classes.
If you improve, CEA have level 2, 3 and 4 teams that you could be on, but if you don't, then Rockstar has a level 1 team for you. Always make sure you pick a gym with a level that will suit you.

Did anyone tell you that you need to do a video tryout? We are also moving this summer and the gyms I've been in contact with gave me the strong impression that it will be fine to come and do a private tryout after we move. So... my advice would be to not decide until after you move, visit both gyms and see which one you like best.

Video tryouts are mainly for worlds teams and such I think.

@mstealtoyou does CEA really do video tryouts?

**Maybe I should get my medication levels checked**

I'm not Ms, but yes. If OP needed to, she could definitely do a video tryout and email it to Coach Kelly. That's what Sacha did.
@Camryn Harris - will you be in the Raleigh area any time so you can visit the gyms? Littlerazzi has been to the SC Rockstar gym, loves the staff and athletes, but hasn't been to the Raleigh location. Our current family is the CEA Raleigh gym. Though the program is large, the gym still feels small. So, everyone knows one another, but there is still the opportunity to grow, just as there is at a large gym. I'm sure Rockstar is similar if you wanted to travel for a higher level team in the future.
Best part is that you have time. When you get to Raleigh, visit both. You can try out in the summer and still get a spot on a team.

Honestly, I think between the 2 locations you need to be more concerned with the levels they offer. They are both good programs, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. In that vein, I don't think either would place you above level 2, or possibly 4.2 with your current skills. I would definitely consider that in my decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best thing to do as has been said is to go and visit both gyms. They are approx 3 miles apart from each other (on the back roads) so it is possible to see both. Personally I would also watch practices a couple of times at both places before making a financial decision. Anyone can say or promise anything when they know a new person/family is coming in. You want to see them when you are not their main focus of that moment. Observe the team that they are suggesting that you would be a fit for. Be patient. You want to make sure that their coaching style and your learning style are a good fit as well. Cheer has become a very expensive sport or activity. You want to make the best informed decision possible.

Back