Help, Mental Blocks! (please Post)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 13, 2011
hi im sara and I'm 17, i did gymnastics most of my life and cheer for 3 years now, iv had a mental block for a while and i can't over come it. it bothers me knowing i used to have a roundoff backhandspring layout... :( does anybody know what i can do to get rid of it? i can physically do it but mentally not.

please and thank you <3

I had a mental block for a while too. What I did was.....
- just not think about it
- Sing a song in your head
- Think about how you want to be on a higher team
I hope these help. Thats what I do.
Just remember. Throw before you think. You can do it!

what skill are you having a block with? i had a block with my standing bhs& tuck and i started by throwing the skill on a wedge/cheese mat. i wasnt afraid of throwing it on there since it is so soft, and i slowly worked my way onto the floor one step at a time, i hope that helps!

what skill are you having a block with? i had a block with my standing bhs& tuck and i started by throwing the skill on a wedge/cheese mat. i wasnt afraid of throwing it on there since it is so soft, and i slowly worked my way onto the floor one step at a time, i hope that helps!
the basics.... I'm afraid to throw anything that goes backwards:(

You just have to do it. I've had a mental block on my full for 3 years that I'm still dealing with sometimes. I just got it back last week. They way I dealt with it was I had to be in control. For example I had my coach spot me a few times. When I felt comfortable I told him to just stand there and not touch me. Then I told him to step off of our rod floor. I just took baby steps until I felt comfortable to do it on my own with him nowhere near me. It never worked when my coach told me he wasn't going to spot me because I didn't feel ready.

I hope it helps and yo get your skills back!

I sing the song in my head, I try to have a conversation with someone? (weird i know) or i pretent im at Worlds NCA or Cheersport and my pass will help win haha i dont know

I tell myself if I think I stink.....and when I am done with that thought I say 5678 and I go and throw. It works most of the time......

Good luck

Debbie Love has a really good process for getting over mental blocks on her website. fortheloveoftumbling.com
:)
Hi can you please direct me to this location on her website, I scoured the thing and could not find any info on overcoming mental blocks. Thank you!

Back