Help Setting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

About a year after I got my tuck I took a year off of cheer and when I came back I could still throw it but I don't set at all and throw my head. I've been trying to get out of this habit for years now with no success. I can set fine on tumble track so I think part of my issue might be fear on the floor. I just keep getting told to set or not throw my head and I understand that, I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to actually do that and break these habits.

There are many ways. I will give a few examples, use the one that you think best applies to you.

If you are a visual learner: Try to spot an object as you come out of your handspring (or round-off if your doing RO-Tuck) I find that many times exit signs and banners hung in gyms work well.

If your a kinesthetic learner(learn by touch): Have a qualified spotter block your shoulders, so you cannot throw them, or tap your hips to give you that tactile cue to rotate using your lower body instead of upper body (throwing your head)

If you focus more on audio cues: come out of your handspring and continue to squeeze in your set until a coach hollers "Pull."

There are dozens of ways to try to help you set. These are just a few. Without watching the skill, its hard to say if your "inability to set" is in response to other technique errors or not.

An example of other technique errors that could lead to a low set would be, a poor shoulder block out of the handspring, which would cause you to drop your chest at the end of the handspring(pike down), which would decrease your upward momentum, making you feel like you have to throw your head back to get over in your tuck.

There are many ways. I will give a few examples, use the one that you think best applies to you.

If you are a visual learner: Try to spot an object as you come out of your handspring (or round-off if your doing RO-Tuck) I find that many times exit signs and banners hung in gyms work well.

If your a kinesthetic learner(learn by touch): Have a qualified spotter block your shoulders, so you cannot throw them, or tap your hips to give you that tactile cue to rotate using your lower body instead of upper body (throwing your head)

If you focus more on audio cues: come out of your handspring and continue to squeeze in your set until a coach hollers "Pull."

There are dozens of ways to try to help you set. These are just a few. Without watching the skill, its hard to say if your "inability to set" is in response to other technique errors or not.

An example of other technique errors that could lead to a low set would be, a poor shoulder block out of the handspring, which would cause you to drop your chest at the end of the handspring(pike down), which would decrease your upward momentum, making you feel like you have to throw your head back to get over in your tuck.

Thank you! I have tried the visual way in the past but it didn't seem to work for me so I will definitely have to try he others!

Back