Help With Doubles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 25, 2012
I throw my double and get 1.5 to 1.75 of the way around, but it's definitely not predictable. How can i get this to not be a problem. I have problems with not setting long also.

Tumbling in general is hard to correct, with confidence, without seeing it. But I can give you some general information about doubles. Then use the information you did provide us to help apply it to your specific situation.

I am assuming that when you say you "threw your double" that it is a RO-HS-dFull. Not a standing double full, Round off double full, or double back. Just to be clear; the question is pretty vague.

As a coach, from the information you provided, my response would be to take a step back and work on your full, or more specifically your layout, before coming back to your double. If you are having an issue setting, chances are this issue stems from proper layout (or possibly even tuck) technique.

The set its self does not change very much from tuck to full. The biggest difference in sets are not seen until the change from full to double-full. And even here, the difference is not so much how high, but how wide you set with your arms. A slightly wider set with the arms in a double, when pulled in, will generate rotational force when we spin. This is much like how when we tuck in, we generate more rotational force to flip. This concept is called "torque" in physics and bio mechanics.

Now, again its hard to say, accurately, what to do to fix your double without seeing it; Because you could be confusing the term "set," with the placement of your feet on the take-off of your double full. There is greater variability of foot placement during the take-off phase of skills, then there is variability of the upper body set.

For example, your feet land in front of the hips for a back handspring taking it back. In a tuck the feet are more or less parallel to hips, layout and full, the feet are slightly behind the hips to add somewhat of a sling shot, or lag effect, like a punch front and how the feet land in front of the hips to make the skill shoot up and rotate forward. In the double full, we see the feet contact the ground the furthest behind the hips to give more lift, which gives us more time in the air. Then the hips initiate the twist and arms coming in from a wider set gives us the more needed twisting momentum needed to complete the skill.

Sorry if this is hard to follow. I am quite tired, eyes half open, and have not really proofread what i have written for clarity.

I hope this helps though! I will come back on tomorrow and answer any questions you may have, and possibly rewrite what i have written so it is more readable.

Oops, I gave you all the info, but forgot to wrap it all up and make my point. Will do that tomorrow. Gotta get to sleep, finals in the morning =(

Oops, I gave you all the info, but forgot to wrap it all up and make my point. Will do that tomorrow. Gotta get to sleep, finals in the morning =(
Thank you! I had a tumbling private yesterday and i was "letting out" early. And i was planting my feet.

Back