High School Help With Individual (video)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys, so this is a little weird for me posting a video of myself, but I wanted some honest advice and suggestions so here we go. So in Oregon we have a competition called Allstate where you basically perform an individual, but everyone is performing the same dance and cheer so a major chunk of our score is execution. I'm already raising the difficulty of my tumbling before I compete this for real next week, but id like some advice on anything else: jumps, dance cheer, tumbling etc.

This was Pre-Allstate, basically a practice competition.
:D thanks in advance!

in your tuck make sure you're setting UP and not just flipping yourself backwards. and in your spring get your arms next to your head, you're doing the "pizza platter" as my coaches call it haha and you're flipping your hands out.

in your tuck make sure you're setting UP and not just flipping yourself backwards. and in your spring get your arms next to your head, you're doing the "pizza platter" as my coaches call it haha and you're flipping your hands out.

Thank you! I will for sure work on that :)

that was very good, first off.
you are really clean! & same thing about the tuck.
your jumps are really good. just stretch your toe touches a bit more is the only thing i could think of for that..
if you have time, maybe you could work jumps to handspring, if you wanted.
really good job & you'll do great.
OH. & amazing dance!

I thought that was really good. What they mentioned could help but as far as your individual it was really good overall and I'm sure you will do great.

That little jump thing you did at :48 where you kind of jump up an kick you legs back makes me think of my cp. She is the point dancer on mini's and they asked her to do that, well she is 6 so she didn't really comprehend. She jumped up her knees went in and touched and her legs went back and she didn't know quite what to do with her arms, her whole body looked awkward!! I tried to show her the next few days but it didn't work so it wasn't put in her routine!! Lol now I see someone do it perfectly but it's to late to get it now ha

that was very good, first off.
you are really clean! & same thing about the tuck.
your jumps are really good. just stretch your toe touches a bit more is the only thing i could think of for that..
if you have time, maybe you could work jumps to handspring, if you wanted.
really good job & you'll do great.
OH. & amazing dance!

Thanks I take pride in my sharpness :) I'm going to raise the difficulty in my standing tumbling to a standing tuck, which I have pretty well! Yeah I'm going to work on rolling my hips in my toe touches, there my worst jump. Thank you though :D

I don't know if the judges will deduct for things like this, but incase they do, try to not mess with your uniform too much (adjusting your skirt, etc.), the routine was really good and clean apart from that.

Good tape with expressions, good motions, etc!

You'll do fine. The few things you can clean up are running and standing tumbling. Try running tumbling with fists on your hurdle (instead of reaching for the air) - it just looks cleaner. Also, set before you start your standing. You have a double swing (reach, swing back, swing forward, and then BH) - learn to set/sit with fists and go straight back, no swing (sit 1, go 2, land 3, clean 4). That will only make it cleaner - but you tumble well.

Awesome spirit! Good luck!

It was good and clean! A couple of additional things from what the others said: On your double toe touch make sure you keep your chest up on the second jump and make sure you're snapping your feet all the way together on both! Your motions are nice and tight but can be sharper. Really hit your motion as hard as you can. I tell my girls to pop through their elbows and to wait until the last second to go for the motion. I tell them I don't want to be able to tell what motion they're about to hit, it should be so sharp its a surprise what motion is coming! Really good job though! Good luck!

Back