Help With My Back Tuck?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 14, 2014
I've had my roundoff bhs for a while now, and my coach is helping me get my roundoff bhs back tuck. I'm finding it really hard though! She always tells me to grab my shins when I tuck but I've always watched cheerleaders grab the bottom of their thighs, so thats what I do. Can y'all give me tips on what to do and how to land a standing tuck? Thanks!

I think this video is really helpful. Covers pretty much anything you need to know.

She also has a ro bhs back tuck video. Good luck!

What part are you having trouble with? Core strength and leg strength play a hugeeeee part in standing tucks. Ideally you shouldn't have to grab your legs at all (core strength). If you are going to grab your legs you want to make sure that you are bringing your legs up to your arms during the flip rotation (again, core strength) instead of dropping your arms down to bring your knees up. That creates a counter rotation and essentially slows down the backwards flipping momentum... which would create a short landing.

www.fortheloveoftumbling.com has ALOT of drills and strength conditioning exercises that will help all of your tumbling. I would focus on core strength and plyometrics in addition to the usual quad exercises (long jumps, high box jumps, ect).

Don't forget to get some training in on your hamstrings. They are your bog jump muscles, so if you're looking at a standing tuck (and all tumbling really), you need strong hammier as well as abs. Legs overall really, but lots of people forget about the hamstrings

Back