OT Hey, New Jersey...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Mamarazzi

Ultimate Grand Supreme '12
Cheer Parent
Mar 16, 2011
I was watching The Real Housewives of NJ, then Jersey Shore, then Mob Wives, then Jerseylicious this afternoon. Yous guys are really hot right now!
How do you feel about the stereotypes on these "reality" shows? Do you know people like this? How does YOUR version of Jersey compare to what's shown on these shows?

i dont like those shows. and i dont believe the Jersey is anything like that! very few people yes but not all of jersey.

I don't watch, and have never watched any of those shows. They are NOT my NJ. Most of them aren't even from NJ originally...and in the case of Jersey Shore, still aren't from NJ.

I wonder how much it influences people's view that haven't ever spent time there. I haven't spent time there myself, but I'm sensible enough to know that not all of what you see on t.v. is true. Just curious about how the natives feel, too.

Most people in the country have believed the stereotype of NJ for years. These shows are probably proof positive to them that's what life is like here. Add to that misconception that anyone who flies into the area, comes into Newark, which is very urban and not particularly nice. Nevermind the farm land and beautiful areas of the state that only we get to see. I love where I live...just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Most people in the country have believed the stereotype of NJ for years. These shows are probably proof positive to them that's what life is like here. Add to that misconception that anyone who flies into the area, comes into Newark, which is very urban and not particularly nice. Nevermind the farm land and beautiful areas of the state that only we get to see. I love where I live...just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Do you encounter "Housewife"-ish ladies?

I have never watched any of the shows, but I now go to school in Louisville and the first person I ever met at school asked me why I didn't look like snooki. It kills me when the first thing people talk about is jersey shore and if I have ever been to seaside and what it's really like or if I know them and can get their autograph. :banghead:

I'm an Italian AND a New Jerseyan, and let me tell you how pissed off my grandfather would be about these stereotypes if he were still around. My great-grandparents were Italian immigrants in the late 1890's who lived in Newark and then Montclair (which both used to be heavily Italian areas). They did not read or write English, and raised 7 kids who worked hard their whole lives to get an education, be independent, and provide for themselves. My grandfather was a doctor, who went to medical school in Italy. He and his 2 brothers ALL served in the military during WWII. Of his 4 sisters (3 of which are still alive at the ages of 91, 93, and 96)- the two oldest went into nursing school, and worked TWO fulltime jobs for their whole lives. The other sisters worked in factories, and even made ammunition during WWII- the original Rosie the Riveters:)

They all had families of their own, many cousins in my Mom's generation- all of which went to college... doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, etc. The grandkids are similarly successful (I, of course, am the black sheep lol). This is an Italian, NJ family who values education and hard work, being successful, being dependable, but most importantly- FAMIGLIA<3

When someone is sick or needs any kind of help, there's an extended family of 20+ people who are all willing to drop everything to help out. When my grandfather was dying of cancer, all 4 of his sisters moved into the house to help my Grandma take care of him around the clock. My family doesn't drink or curse either (this also doesn't include me lol). But, we do cook- A LOT lol. There are so many family recipes that have come directly from Italy, and date back to the early 1800's. They've all been passed down to the grandkids, as well as family photographs, documents, knickknacks, stories, etc. My 93 and 96 year old Great-Aunts live in the next town over, and they still insist on cooking for us every time we visit. I literally will say "I'm in the area and I'm stopping by to say hi" and by the time I get there, they have a tray of food in the oven lol... My Mom and my Uncle take them to doctor's appointments, I take them grocery shopping, my cousins take them out to eat, etc... We are a very close-knit, supportive family.

This is what it means to be Italian. Not tanning, getting sloppy drunk, talking like a moron, overusing hair products, etc. I was raised with a large sense of pride that being Italian is the greatest thing in the world. It's about family, good food, making good memories, sharing history, passing on traditions, being loud, talking with your hands, and knowing you're superior to everyone else LOL <3

(I'm actually only 25% Italian, but it's the most important 25%... Gramps would be happy to know that the superiority complex will be passed down hehe:) )

NJ is a great place- culturally and geographically diverse, with the best italian food, pizza, and bagels in the country. I can drive 30 miles and be in NYC, but I wake up every morning with deer in my backyard. I'm an hour and a half to the shore, but I can walk to the lake for a swim anytime. I had friends in high school who lived on a legit farm- horses, cows, chickens, etc, while the other side of town is full of "McMansions" and hoity toity folks who do business in the city. There are a lot of museums, historical sights, and awesome farm markets (Hey, they don't call us the Garden State for nothing!) We have everything here, and I think the only thing I don't like about living here is the weather.... Hawaii looks better to me every year:)

@Num1Stunta , sounds like your extended Italian family isn't too much different from my extended German one :) Nice to know that NJ isn't necessarily all Sopranos and Snookis (even thouth she's South American)!

@Num1Stunta , sounds like your extended Italian family isn't too much different from my extended German one :) Nice to know that NJ isn't necessarily all Sopranos and Snookis (even thouth she's South American)!

That's funny, because my Dad's whole side of the family is German and they are the exact opposite lol... all spread out in different states and we only see each other every few years!

I to an an Italian Jersey girl but from South Jersey (south Philly mostly reins here lol). I watch all the shows and just laugh. Its funny drama and that's what gets ratings. We are just like everyone else....well maybe a little loud ;). I do have to say however that being a hairstylist, Jerseylicious is my fav. Sometimes its real to my life at my old salon but I've met Olivia, Anthony and Alexis and they are really rather sweet.

Im also from NJ and Italian. Some of the shows are accurate to the AREA the show was filmed in. In RHWONJ that area tends to be upper class, Italian families all living in the mansions. I live on the jersey shore. A 5 minute walk from my house to the beach and no one around here is a "guido" except for the bennies that come down in the summer from NY, PA etc. I personally am not offended by any of these shows because they are so funny and entertaining but I can see why people get upset. Jersey is actually a great place, just portrayed incorrectly. I have family friends who were actually at the christening during the fight on Real Housewives and she said that it was really as intense as shown on TV but the producers and cameras being there just egged it on.

Back