High School High School Captains

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have 2 seniors returning and then another new girl who is a senior. My coach did it based on who was here longer and who actually takes the role to step up and lead. I am one of the returning senior and I'm captain and the other senior is co-captain.

I only had one senior on my squad this year, but I could have 6 seniors next year. I thought about doing interviews and also about having each captain applicant write a letter of recommendation for one of the other captain applicants. I think if they had to look at the others that they were up against and find their opponents strengths it will show some good leadership qualities.

I personally like having captains because 1) captains can be amazing team leaders if they know what is expected of them and 2) they act as mediums between the coach and the squad.
I'm actually having a problem deciding on who should be captain for the 2016 season. I have four upcoming seniors and only one of them is captain-material. The head coach and myself are leaning toward appointing one senior captain and one junior captain.

Don't feel bad if you hurt your senior feelings. If some of them aren't cut out to be leaders then they don't need to be captains.

Sometimes, there is no good choice for a senior captain. My cp's team ran into that this year. The coach said that the captain had to a senior who had cheered the past three years. Co-captain had to be a junior or senior who had cheered for two years.

The best choice was a senior who had cheered for two years, but that wasn't an option.

Of the seniors that met the qualifications, the girls went with who they thought would be the lesser of two evils. It didn't matter because there wasn't a good, clear choice.

Our former program had the rule that a senior had to be captain. They would vote for two people. Top senior vote got captain. Second most votes got co-captain.

How does your school handle captains?

I have 5/20 Seniors this year and a lot of underclassmen who have geat captain qualities.
My 5 seniors all have different personalities ranging from very intense , opinionated to very quiet and relaxed.

Im looking for ways to either have all seniors be captains or 2 captains 3 co captains ?

Looking for input from other schools on how they do captains and what they do to solve the different range of personalities?
What do you look for in a captain?

Thanks!
We always do captains. I feel like it isn't fair not to have them just to keep the peace. I always tell everyone their first year, if you want to be captain then the work starts now. This is the 1st year I've been disappointed in my captains not fulfilling their duties. I pick captains by prior years performance and we have an interview.

We always do captains. I feel like it isn't fair not to have them just to keep the peace. I always tell everyone their first year, if you want to be captain then the work starts now. This is the 1st year I've been disappointed in my captains not fulfilling their duties. I pick captains by prior years performance and we have an interview.
I kind of have that problem now.. We have 18 girls
Last football season we had 4 captains. 2/4 Captains returned for Basketball.
I have a SOPHMORE who has been a great leader and keeps everything organized.

So we have 2 seniors, and Junior and a Sophmore, but now were thinking 4 captains is too much for 18 qty team.

I also had one of my senior captains not really live up to the expectation of a captain but its her senior year, her last season and we are stuck.
We dont know what to do lol

Back