High School High School Uniform Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Today I went to a hs competition and I was looking for some healthy discussion on what people prefer.

Today I saw a lot of new uniforms and I thought to myself.. that looks like an all star uniform

Me personally I prefer a classic high school looking uniform, Some had the backs cut out, saw a couple teams with the whole belt situation going on, shoulder cut outs lol the uniforms with the backs cut out had bra straps hanging out.

whats your take?

Also, do some schools have a uniform fitting standard?
I know some hs coaches do not allow fitted uniforms and I have to agree
I saw way too many cheeks today and it crossed my mind !

I strongly prefer an athletic, clean looking uniform. There are plenty of ways to be unique and flashy without cutting the fabric in weird ways or following a fad that has been far over done. Bedazzle all you want, but I just can't take a school team seriously with 800 back/shoulder/side cutouts.....it makes the school look like a wannabe allstar team, rather than a representative of the school. A clean uniform style looks classier overall imo (not to say a school uniform needs to be retro or have braiding, etc. but just a clean style + a small mystic or rhinestone feature if desired).

Example:
Classic(http://www.cheermotionwear.com/images/Cheer-Image.png)
vs.
Clean & Modern(http://www.omnicheer.com/images/2_level_nav/stretch-metallic-uniforms.jpg)
vs.
Wannabe Allstar (All-Star Uniforms by Cheerleading Company)

I prefer clean and modern, but that wasn't always the case. In high school, I loved busy uniforms with piping and color. Although, most schools around my area always go with varsity, so nothing too crazy (no cut outs or mystique, just lots of lines and blocking.)
Now, after doing college cheer, I cannot stand busy uniforms! I love clean and classic and very collegiate looking uniforms.
I'm not really sure why some high schools have taken the all star route for uniforms. One theory, is perhaps to look like an all-star team to be taken more seriously in the cheer world. Now in the cheer world, all star has kinda stepped ahead in popularity, for example, just look at the popularity on here. The all star section has thousands of threads, high school... Not so much. People don't want to be the popular high school cheer captain anymore. They want to be a world champion and have an NCA jacket. As cheerleading had evolved to be more competitive and all star has set the standard for it, high schools may be trying to keep up, starting with the look.
But I dunno. I don't even know if it makes sense. Just a theory.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I prefer clean lines in my uniforms, similar to the college look. Our previous uniforms had the silver braiding all over and while they were cute and timeless (thankfully, cause they had them for 5 years), our new ones are killer. I had to convince the girls that this was the way to go by letting them know what a few fellow judges told me about the wannabe all star look and how they dislike it and it's distracting, but in the end, they are thrilled. No braiding, simply lines, solid bodysuits, and solid bows! While others will stand out for the wrong reason, we'll stand out for looking well put together and clean. :)

Today I went to a hs competition and I was looking for some healthy discussion on what people prefer.

Today I saw a lot of new uniforms and I thought to myself.. that looks like an all star uniform

Me personally I prefer a classic high school looking uniform, Some had the backs cut out, saw a couple teams with the whole belt situation going on, shoulder cut outs lol the uniforms with the backs cut out had bra straps hanging out.

whats your take?

Also, do some schools have a uniform fitting standard?
I know some hs coaches do not allow fitted uniforms and I have to agree
I saw way too many cheeks today and it crossed my mind !

Were we at the same competition. I think I saw all the same things. I love a very clean and collegiate look.

I prefer clean and modern, but that wasn't always the case. In high school, I loved busy uniforms with piping and color. Although, most schools around my area always go with varsity, so nothing too crazy (no cut outs or mystique, just lots of lines and blocking.)
Now, after doing college cheer, I cannot stand busy uniforms! I love clean and classic and very collegiate looking uniforms.
I'm not really sure why some high schools have taken the all star route for uniforms. One theory, is perhaps to look like an all-star team to be taken more seriously in the cheer world. Now in the cheer world, all star has kinda stepped ahead in popularity, for example, just look at the popularity on here. The all star section has thousands of threads, high school... Not so much. People don't want to be the popular high school cheer captain anymore. They want to be a world champion and have an NCA jacket. As cheerleading had evolved to be more competitive and all star has set the standard for it, high schools may be trying to keep up, starting with the look.
But I dunno. I don't even know if it makes sense. Just a theory.

You make perfect sense lol, I agree with everyone
Its also their routines too, I just want to go to a HS competition and watch HS routines and not be like oh.. thats an all star stunt or oh thats what cheer athletics says in their cheer etc -- one team had a routine full of stunts that cheer extreme did. Dont get me wrong I was absolutely blown away and they executed them well but apparently the world of twist ups and your usualy scorp to scale is retired haha ! thanks for everyones input !

I honestly hate it when a hs uniform is too busy especially when they look cheap. If you are going to invest your money in a uniform that you can have input on, you should really try and go for top-notch quality and cut.

I coach at a high school in Illinois. Our school allowed us to get 2 new sets of uniforms. We got one for football season - very traditional, clean and athletic. Our second uniform we got for basketball/competition season. It is very athletic, clean, motionflex and has a small amount of bling. They will wear these uniforms for home games and competitions only, and will wear their football season uniforms for away games. My team loved the idea of cut outs because they saw a few top Illinois teams that had them. (I told them no.) Personally, I don't think cut outs have a place in high school cheerleading and wouldn't be surprised if the IHSA came out with uniform guidelines soon. I also have a problem with the too-short skirts. I took my daughter to a few competitions last year, she's 7. She asked me several times "Do you think that girl knows her underwear (they were really her cheer briefs) are showing?" haha.....this is a just a clear sign that the skirts need to be longer!

So this is the best picture I could find of them, but these are my school's Round 2 uniforms. (I'm in Michigan so we have 3 uniforms, one for each round.)
a1nqu.jpg

They're a jersey dress, with a bodysuit underneath. They're too slippery to stunt in (that's why we only wear them for the tumbling round) They're also really short on most people, since the first people to get proper fitting ones are the 10 that are actually competing in that round. Everyone else gets what is left over. I like them because they're different, but I could see cheerleaders from other states questioning them.

So this is the best picture I could find of them, but these are my school's Round 2 uniforms. (I'm in Michigan so we have 3 uniforms, one for each round.)
a1nqu.jpg

They're a jersey dress, with a bodysuit underneath. They're too slippery to stunt in (that's why we only wear them for the tumbling round) They're also really short on most people, since the first people to get proper fitting ones are the 10 that are actually competing in that round. Everyone else gets what is left over. I like them because they're different, but I could see cheerleaders from other states questioning them.
Do you wear these just for competition or for games too? They're cute although i feel like they wouldn't be super flattering on bigger girls (it looks good on everyone in the pic though!). Like my chub in that would not be cute, which is fine for comp but I wouldn't want to wear in front of the whole school all day and at the game

I wish I could have snapped pictures of these uniforms but then I would have looked like a weirdo lol-- this goes for any type of back cut out ... why ? just in general .. why ? wouldnt it just look so much better with a full back ? what is the point hahaha

Do you wear these just for competition or for games too? They're cute although i feel like they wouldn't be super flattering on bigger girls (it looks good on everyone in the pic though!). Like my chub in that would not be cute, which is fine for comp but I wouldn't want to wear in front of the whole school all day and at the game

Girls have asked to wear them to games but it's just not practical. They're impossible to stunt with, and plus we have 2 other uniforms that we can wear.

Back