High School High School Varsity And Jv.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

we have 3 teams:
JV- fresh and sophs only, cheers for both frosh and jv football(depending on who's home that day), doesnt travel with any team, cheers for girls and boys jv basketball
Var Cheer- juniors and seniors only, cheer for var football and var basketball boys and girls, travels
Var Song- sophs, juniors, and seniors, cheer with var cheer at fball and bball games
no skills necessary what so ever and no competing... i hate cheer at my school

At my school freshmen cannot be on varsity, freshmen and sophomores can be on JV, and sophomores, juniors, and seniors can be on varsity. If a sophomore scores higher than a junior or senior, then the sophomore makes varsity and the junior/senior doesn't make anything. And no matter how high a freshmen scores they can only make JV.

At my school, it's done by skills. Anyone can make Varsity, but to make it as a freshmen, you either have to have a layout or a full, or be a really good flyer. JV is freshmen and sophomores only. Everyone on Varsity is automatically on competition (which is why skills matter) and then JV girls have the opportunity to fill any spots/be alternates

When I was in high school, it was done by skill.
Freshmen cheer: freshmen only, they are not allowed to make JV or varsity
JV cheer: sophomores and some juniors. There was always a lot of controversy because really skilled sophomores would make varsity and the juniors who weren't up to par made JV. However, I firmly believe you must do what is best for the teams as a whole!
Varsity: sophomores, juniors, and seniors. If a senior did not have the skill to make varsity, she did not make any team.
Competition: we had to try out separately and girls from all squads were welcome, however it was mostly comprised of varsity girls. We allowed JV and freshmen cheerleaders because we had a lot of varsity girls who played other sports in the spring so we did not make competition mandatory for anyone.

At my school it goes by your skill level.
Varsity- you have to have all 3 splits, good jumps and motions, a bhs and at least throw a back tuck by your self. (Freshman must have full) It doesn't matter what grade. You must also have a B- or higher to be on the team.
JV- no experience needed but must have a B- or higher.
The way our school is most of the freshman and spohmores with a few juniors is JV.
Then varsity is 1 Freshman( me!) 5 sophmores 8 juniors and 6 seniors. All seniors are put on varsity for at least the last half of a season.
For competitive season everyone must re-tryout but most varsity girls stay on varsity unless they won't do a required skill anymore.

At my school it goes by your skill level.
Varsity- you have to have all 3 splits, good jumps and motions, a bhs and at least throw a back tuck by your self. (Freshman must have full) It doesn't matter what grade. You must also have a B- or higher to be on the team.
JV- no experience needed but must have a B- or higher.
The way our school is most of the freshman and spohmores with a few juniors is JV.
Then varsity is 1 Freshman( me!) 5 sophmores 8 juniors and 6 seniors. All seniors are put on varsity for at least the last half of a season.
For competitive season everyone must re-tryout but most varsity girls stay on varsity unless they won't do a required skill anymore.
So what if you can do all the requirements but can only do 2 of the 3 splits?

Could be a deal breaker in Michigan due to the way scoring works. In round two, each team must perform five skills from three categories: flexibility, jumping, and tumbling. The team must perform at least one from each category. The highest scoring skill for flexibility is triple splits. (A valdez also falls into this category, but I think triple splits are more popular.)

Therefore, as a coach, it is advantageous to get triple splits for round two. If you have team heel stretches or switch splits (as opposed to triple splits), that bumps you down a score level.

This website has a score sheet you can download if you are intrigued by our, um, unique structure:
Girls Competitive Cheer | MHSAA Sports

(Sorry, that was probably more information than you asked for.)

It would depend on how close you were. If you were like 3 inches away they would put you on varsity. If you were any higher than 3 they would put you on Jv.

I will not have seniors cheer for JV games, however, they can compete w/ JV (they usually don't even cheer at that point anyways). I break down primarily Seniors as long as skill level is comperable and attuitude/dedication is there and then score for varsity depending on how many I feel fit the "varsity mold" and also fit in a stunt group, although typically it is really score based anyways. Both teams compete, I don't feel that having all these teams is beneficial to safe progression. Stunting w/ different people every week can get to be unsafe.

Varsity - 9 seniors, 5 juniors, 1 sophomore, 3 freshmen
JV - 2 juniors, 5 sophomores, 10 freshmen

Hope this helps!

This year at my old high school it's
Varsity- 1 senior, 5 juniors, 6 sophmores, 2 freshman

JV- 25 girls most are freshman, everyone else is a sophomore.

I'm pretty sure those are the numbers, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't go there anymore.

But I know for sure last year varsity was 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 5 sophmores, 2 freshman

My school JV is freshmen and sophomores, and varsity is sophomores juniors and seniors. We have tryouts in the beginning of the year for football and basketball, those are also our competition teams

At my school who's on JV and varsity is completely based on skills. We have freshmen on varsity because they are experienced and can tumble, and there's juniors and seniors on JV because they have little/no experience. Personally I like it better this way, its a fair division of skills and gives the JV girls time to learn. On the other hand, my school doesn't have a seperate competiton team, we do games and compete. So that's probably the reason they do things the way they do

At our school it's by skill, but seniors are favored.... there usually aren't any seniors on JV.
for competition you have to have a standing backhandspring and there are 14 of us, we're also 14 of the varsity cheerleaders.
there are 6 varsity alternates, you don't have to have a bhs to be an alternate (thats where seniors w/o bhs go)
then there's JV which can be anyone, even if you have tumbling you might be on JV b/c we have a lot of tumblers

Back