High School High School Vs All Star

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wouldn't say games are practice, it's experience. (And the rest of this isn't directed at you, just me ranting.) People may not agree with me on this, but if you do high school cheerleading then being able to go to competitions are privileges. You're expected to support your team first and foremost, that's why you're on the team. Basketball players don't treat games like practices. Yes, you should try your best during both, but it's a different atmosphere. I think if you're on the sidelines you owe both programs your respect and should be an athlete.
you would sooo hate my team haha! our first priority is competitions and we could care less about games we spend maybe 10 minutes all year working on game stuff. we only go because we have to.

you would sooo hate my team haha! our first priority is competitions and we could care less about games we spend maybe 10 minutes all year working on game stuff. we only go because we have to.

I coach both high school and all star, and would say the high school side of me doesn't like this. Your first priority should be school, then games, then competition. The school deserves hard working spirit leaders who first priority is cheering at school.

For the past 3 years my sister did (varsity) high school cheerleading and all star. I think she originally liked hs better because she was cheering with girls shes known since 1st grade, the camps, the bonding, the games. They competed and were decent..

For her senior year she is going to just do all star and tumble to get ready for college classes. She feels like all of the work for HS cheer wont be...worth it since majority of the seniors aren't coming back and it will be a "building year"....she doesn't want to spend her senior year not having as much free time...she wants to go to the games and be in the stands etc. Can't blame her

I coach both high school and all star, and would say the high school side of me doesn't like this. Your first priority should be school, then games, then competition. The school deserves hard working spirit leaders who first priority is cheering at school.
I completely agree with you but everyone on the team hates games they are boring. we all cheer because we want to compete not do sideline. we also win our school the most sectional and national titles so they don't mind :)

In the new role I took, apparently I had to make a game only option... I kinda was in shock as a team is a team. I know in HS games come first and being ambassadors of the shcool, it becomes more marketing then athletics, however, it does baffle me that people don't want to compete!!!! All I can say is as they wish and they will be the most sharp and prepared game squad out there :)

I completely agree with you but everyone on the team hates games they are boring. we all cheer because we want to compete not do sideline. we also win our school the most sectional and national titles so they don't mind :)

Well it sounds like they're boring because ya'll don't do much...IMO :rolleyes: . Football may get a little boring because it's hard to see the action and some basketball games are just like that too, I understand that completely, but you can make them fun. My team has brought home many 1st place titles and tons of people have come up to my coach and told us how great we look at games. Your entire town/student body/other schools aren't going to go watch a competition to see how good you are; games are where you show that you've worked hard for your title. Instead of just standing around and calling a couple of cheers, you can actually get the crowd involved and MAKE the game exciting.

Well it sounds like they're boring because ya'll don't do much...IMO :rolleyes: . Football may get a little boring because it's hard to see the action and some basketball games are just like that too, I understand that completely, but you can make them fun. My team has brought home many 1st place titles and tons of people have come up to my coach and told us how great we look at games. Your entire town/student body/other schools aren't going to go watch a competition to see how good you are; games are where you show that you've worked hard for your title. Instead of just standing around and calling a couple of cheers, you can actually get the crowd involved and MAKE the game exciting.
Actually they are boring cause we almost always lose haha. we don't do much at games because we don't want to risk injury that would put people out for competition. I am not saying we do not get the crowd hyped up at games because we do we just don't put out amazing half time routines or anything like that. competition is our first priority, always has been and probably always will be. luckily cheer will be a sport in the state of New York next year and there has been talk of letting us stop cheering at our games:)

I love both!! High school = Friday night lights, packed gyms and high intensity games. All Star of course = the thrill of competing, usually being pushed/pushing yourself harder. Both are so different it's hard to choose one over the other. I did all star for 8 years, but then when I switched to high school I remember being SO nervous for my first football game.. In reality there were only a fraction of people in the stands compared to some of the bigger competitions I'd been to. But it's just such a different atmosphere and type of cheerleading.. As it's been mentioned, memorizing a 2:30 routine is much different than the countless cheers and chants for games.

I love both!! High school = Friday night lights, packed gyms and high intensity games. All Star of course = the thrill of competing, usually being pushed/pushing yourself harder. Both are so different it's hard to choose one over the other. I did all star for 8 years, but then when I switched to high school I remember being SO nervous for my first football game.. In reality there were only a fraction of people in the stands compared to some of the bigger competitions I'd been to. But it's just such a different atmosphere and type of cheerleading.. As it's been mentioned, memorizing a 2:30 routine is much different than the countless cheers and chants for games.

I love this opinion more than anything. Lol, js.

So soooo true!

I wanted to see what others thought about this topic. Most of the discussions on this are in the Newbie threads and I figured some people don't check there reguarly.

I personally think it all depends, but what are your opinions on it? Which do you think is "better"? What about some of ya'll that do both? I've a couple of times that all star cheerleaders find high school cheer just as hard. I think if you're in an area with a ton of all star gyms, that influences high schools to do more advanced stunts and have more tumbling requirements, etc.

all star is better in the sense of you will grow more and its more challenging but high school can be just the same. i did all stars my whole life but i quit because i got sick of the coaches then i took a year off and went on high school, its just as hard. we didnt even compete as a high school team we had 2 teams (i was on both) and we were level 3 allstar teams and went to national competitions and everything, its just as challenging if you make it challenge you. people say you cant grow in tumbling, but sure you can. we tumble when we go to the gym and i tumble 2 times a week on my own. both are awesome but i dont see why so many people are against high school, we (at least my school) work just as hard as any other all star team!

I think the reason all-star is so much more difficult/serious in my area is that we aren't allowed to do both at the same time (though I broke that rule ;)) and to be honest, what serious all-star cheerleader would choose high school over it?![/quote]

The "SERIOUS" all-star cheerleader that wants to cheer in college. A lot of colleges like to see that you are well rounded, with experience in both all-star and high school, as both experiences are different.

Back