All-Star Horrible Situation.. What To Do?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 10, 2011
So, a good friend of mines older sister tried out for school cheer at a high school near mine. She used to be on a level 5 team. she has a standing full, standing tuck, bhs and other stuff...our hs teams are HORRIBLE! so to have the offer to have an athlete like that would be a blessing...right? (Ik, one person doesnt make a team..still) and she isnt really skinny, shes a larger girl. she didnt make it! and girls who are smaller and dont have a bhs made it over my friends sister?

HS/College cheer can take (and not take) whoever they want. If she really wants to do it, have her mom start complaining to the principle. He'll probably make the coach take her to get the parent off his case. But, if the team is really that bad and she wants something competitive maybe it's a blessing in disguise she didn't make it.

HS/College cheer can take (and not take) whoever they want. If she really wants to do it, have her mom start complaining to the principle. He'll probably make the coach take her to get the parent off his case. But, if the team is really that bad and she wants something competitive maybe it's a blessing in disguise she didn't make it.
the team isnt that bad...again im SO used to allstars, seeing schools way differnt. and she didnt make sideline not comp. but still? then she asked what their reasoning was and they said she doesnt have the skill? REALLY?

school cheer is a lot different from allstar. i know that you know that.
but tumbling is not the be-all of school cheer, especially sideline. if she knows how to tumble but is not an effective crowd-leader, then that could be a reason for not making the squad.

school cheer is a lot different from allstar. i know that you know that.
but tumbling is not the be-all of school cheer, especially sideline. if she knows how to tumble but is not an effective crowd-leader, then that could be a reason for not making the squad.
no no no! she is a good cheerleader all around! tons of smiles and everything! s

I actually saw this at the College level also, I took an athlete to UK's tryouts (b4 dbles were taken out of college). She was the only incoming freshman girl throwing standing fulls, and punch whip to doubles. Her coed stunting was sub par, but she wasn't big, but they didnt even keep her to final cuts, because she wasn't what they were looking for. 2 weeks later she made U of L.

My oldest daughter was on a level 5 all-star team and a level 9 gymnast when she tried out for high school cheer, and she did not make the team either. They said she was very good, but not what they were looking for. (What were they looking for?) Blessing in disguise. She switched all star teams and made U of L 2 years later.

Did she have conflicting outside activities? No matter how talented a girl is I won't take someone who can't 110% to the team. You make an exception for one you have to make an exception for all activities and then you end up with no one at practice lol

If they didnt take her then it's not worth it. There's obviously something wrong there and if i were her and didnt make it then i wouldnt want to be a part of that.

I wonder if these high school coaches (or the cheerleaders themselves) ever feel a little intimidated by a top-notch all star cheerleader coming in if their squad is overall very weak? Maybe they assume the competitive cheerleader will expect to do a lot of her big time skills and get really frustrated with a bunch of low level cheerleaders who can't do more than the basics/ sideline cheers. They may not feel like an all star cheerleader would fit in, so they cut her. It's not the right thing to assume that, but I could see it happening.

Trust me if the team is bad she would have been miserable. Everything happens for a reason! We decided to not let our oldest tryout for hs cheer because the coach was a less then nice at the parent meeting. A few weeks later we saw the team practicing and my cp was thanking us for not letting her tryout, she would have been abused by the flyers since she would have been the only one with basing experience. For example we watched a flyer go from prep to ground with no one saving her and there were ten girls standing around the stunt, in fact one girl moved out of the way so she wouldn't get hit also!! My cp would have been under the kid in a hot second and probably would have had a broken limb....

Maybe she is too good for the team and they didn't want her cause she would outshine else !

Back