All-Star How Can It Be Considered A "states" Competition??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Extrememom

Cheer Parent
Dec 17, 2009
How can a competititon be considered "States" when and EP picks and choose who they want to compete??? Shouldn't every gym in the state have the same opportunity to compete, that is what "States" is about, Right??? I am appalled that our gym, after registering on time, sending all waivers on time. had their registration money sent back and has been denied the opportunity to compete!!! What message are you sending??? You are hurting the kids involved, who want to compete!

How can a competititon be considered "States" when and EP picks and choose who they want to compete??? Shouldn't every gym in the state have the same opportunity to compete, that is what "States" is about, Right??? I am appalled that our gym, after registering on time, sending all waivers on time. had their registration money sent back and has been denied the opportunity to compete!!! What message are you sending??? You are hurting the kids involved, who want to compete!

It is incredibly rare for an EP to turn down any registration. That being said, they are a private business and should have the right to turn anyone they want for any reason they want.

It is incredibly rare for an EP to turn down any registration. That being said, they are a private business and should have the right to turn anyone they want for any reason they want.

Then the event shouldn't be considered "States." It's not!! But wait, it is OK for another gym to compete, whose owner has an affiliation with the EP. That's a conflict of interest, don't you think??

Totally agree! When I think of States...its the best in the state...open to anyone in the state! I understand the EP has the right to turn anyone away, but then isn't it just a competition...not states!

Sorry your sweet girls are having to deal with that. I hate when kids pay the price for some stupid political drama.

Sorry your sweet girls are having to deal with that. I hate when kids pay the price for some stupid political drama.

Thanks, and it is political drama!! I forgot to add, that when our competition schedule was decided upon, the EP for this event was called and we were given prior approval to attend!!!

Thanks, and it is political drama!! I forgot to add, that when our competition schedule was decided upon, the EP for this event was called and we were given prior approval to attend!!!
Well, I personally think there has to be a better way to handle issues than making the KIDS pay the price!

Since we're from the same state I'm interested....is this the "states" in December or the "states" in February? There are two different EP's that run a state championship in NC and we're going to one of them this year.....we used to go to the other one.

Actually, nevermind. I've seen your gym's competition schedule and I know which one it is. We stopped going to that one just because of it's jacked up score sheet. We're trying out the other one this year.

I thought "States" in December referred to High School?-the one the second weekend. (we are in same state also) When I hear "states" that is what I think of. There are several comps here called "state championships" that are run by all kinds of EP, some are so tiny I wonder how they can be called that.

Actually, nevermind. I've seen your gym's competition schedule and I know which one it is. We stopped going to that one just because of it's jacked up score sheet. We're trying out the other one this year.

Is Aviator not doing Spirit of Hope either this year?

Is Aviator not doing Spirit of Hope either this year?
Now we're still doing that one because it's big, and literally in our backyard for a 2 day nationals that draws good competition....but I think we're only still going BECAUSE it's in our back yard. Really not a fan of that score sheet AT ALL. When a whip through to tuck is not counted as a level 4 pass...for any of the 8 you threw...it leaves a rather sour taste in your mouth :)

Then the event shouldn't be considered "States." It's not!! But wait, it is OK for another gym to compete, whose owner has an affiliation with the EP. That's a conflict of interest, don't you think??

There is no logic to what EPs call their events. There are currently several events that host multiple "national championships" a year in different parts of the country.

Also, some EPs do not view ownership of a gym to be a conflict of interest. Example: Varsity owns several gyms directly, and has employees that own/run many others. They don't seem to consider it to be a conflict of interest for those gyms to compete at their own events. In fairness, I have never seen anything that made me think results were actually changed due to this type of bias. However, it is hard to argue that there isn't a conflict of interest when independent gyms are competing against Varsity gyms and/or Varsity employees at Varsity events.

Bottom line - there IS a conflict of interest . . . However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they knowingly let that affect any decisions.

I thought "States" in December referred to High School?-the one the second weekend. (we are in same state also) When I hear "states" that is what I think of. There are several comps here called "state championships" that are run by all kinds of EP, some are so tiny I wonder how they can be called that.

There is HS States AND allstar States that same weekend. The allstar comp is technically "USA States" put on by Universal Spirit (the same as SOH) in Greensboro.

Back