How Do I Shorten A Routine By 20 Seconds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2013
I am a new cheer coach and our first competiton is next weekend. Our routine is 20 seconds too long. I thought that the clock would start with the first motion or word but instead it is our first step on the floor. I would be greatful for any help on what portion to shorten in our routine. We have required cheer, chant, pom and dance segements.

You could take out some ripples, synchronize some of the tumbling passes instead of them going separately, if possible increase the speed of the words in the cheer.

Depending on the age, shorten some of their transition time?? Is there anywhere in the routine that the kids could get to their spot in 4 or 6 counts instead of 8?? Take out cleans and claps before setting for stunts?? Drop and go (clean) out of cradles instead of holding, dumping and cleaning??

Oh, and speed up the beats per minute if possible?? Again, depending on the age of kids and how good they are with their routine so far

All of the sugesstions are good and if your use them it will really help! Also try having your team in an order to walk on so they will get to their spots as quickly as possible (no scrambling through people). If that is where the timer starts, that would be the easiest way to cut down time without shortening the routine.

Back