All-Star How Do You Gym Shop For A Certian Level?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 5, 2014
My daughter wants to do a level 4 team (she is 10yrs to be 11 in Aug). Her tumbling coach says she is ready for a level 4, the chances of their being a level 4 at her gym are slim. Currently their is, from what I understand most aren't coming back. We currently drive an hour to attend this gym, their are four other gyms of the same distance from our home. How does one gym shop for certain level?

It is more than "level" shopping! It is good and safe coaching, a good environment and most of all where your child will b happy. She could be put on a 4 team and get hurt doing unsafe skills the team is not ready for. Would u want her to b on a team that never wins or an awesome possible lower level team where she can enjoy the season?

I think I get what the poster is asking, as we are in a similar situation. We are in the land of small gyms, and they don't offer a team at all age and skill levels. There is no guarantee that there will be a level 4 of any kind next year at our gym. It's impossible to know what they will be able to field at a given level until tryouts. It's a tough position to be in. I have it a little easier with a level 2 athlete, but it is a stressful situation to wonder if there will be an appropriate team for her and if everyone on it will be level appropriate. I don't think gym shopping is the answer, but I can at least see where she is coming from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, like the above posters said, look at the whole picture: staff, safety, quality and making sure your CP has strong level 4 skills in all areas.

Do your research. Look at videos in YouTube or FB pages and the placements of how their level 3 and 4 teams did last year. Did they just have those teams to keep families around or were they successful? Visit gyms and talk to parents, athletes and coaches. Have your daughter so open gyms and have her ask the athletes lots of questions and ask the parents in the waiting area lots of questions. Ask if they'll point you to a level 4 parent that would be willing to talk with you. You are looking to commit a year of your families' life and thousands of dollars. Be bold!

This. If her coach thinks she's ready, why wouldn't her gym put her on it?
As I understand it, she is in the same situation we are in. There may not be a level appropriate team at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like your gym has a 4 now, but rumors are most of those kids are leaving. So I'll say this....

A lot of rumors around this time of year about who is/isn't leaving never come true. Don't believe them until you actually see them leave the gym.

If you're afraid your gym won't have a team that is CP's level it's fine to check out other gyms and choose another one or two to try out for. Personally,, I would not choose a gym solely because it offered her the highest level team. Like others said, coaching, safety, environment, competitiveness are all factors to consider in choosing a gym. Choose a gym that fits your CP and that can be competitive and offer her a challenge. Forget about what level she will be on. It's not all about tumbling. There are many other factors to consider from a coaches perspective as well as a parent/athlete perspective.

I would rather have my CP on a 3 at a highly competitive gym where she is challenged and confident they can hit high scores at comps than on a 4 that will not be organized or competitive scoring low all season and end up losing all the time. The level isn't as important as your CP being competitive and challenged.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also you mentioned tumbling coach not her regular coach. That is such a small part of being ready for level 4. I am not going to assume anything is she on a level 3 now?? What position is she for stunts? How is she in that position and how willing/capable is she to do other positions based on age skill? ALL of that matters. They have to look at the CPs that come in and make a team that works. At the same time you need to look at her as an athlete and child. If her only choice is level 4 somewhere that is a Senior team ---- is that the best fit for her not only as an athlete but as a child developmentally? The big thing to remember is she is 10 that is 8 more years. Injury, burn out those things can and do happen - think of it as a marathon not a sprint. Being the strong one on a strong level 3 with kids her age may be better than other options. It may not but you need to look at all of it as a parent and then in the end you make the choice of what is best for her with her input. What they may think will make them the happiest may not always be the best decision. - been there and had to do that.

See also: If the only option is Senior 4, is she coachable enough for a Senior level team?

What I mean by that is that the caliber of critique may be different from say Youth 3/Junior 3 to Senior 4.

I am not saying that senior coaches are ripping kids new ones every time they make a mistake, but the expectation is that kids will take critique the first time given without crying/whining/completely falling apart.

See also: If the only option is Senior 4, is she coachable enough for a Senior level team?

What I mean by that is that the caliber of critique may be different from say Youth 3/Junior 3 to Senior 4.

I am not saying that senior coaches are ripping kids new ones every time they make a mistake, but the expectation is that kids will take critique the first time given without crying/whining/completely falling apart.

@Mom2Cheergirls as well . . .

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing these points up. As a coach I've tried (and failed) to explain these issues to cheer moms time and time again.

-Just because your child is physically ready for a certain level, doesn't mean they are MENTALLY ready for a level.

-Even though, "Oh she's SO ready for Senior 4 she wants it so so bad!" Doesn't mean that is necessarily what is best for her development in the sport. Children don't make decisions for themselves for a good reason.

-Having the tumbling for a certain level also doesn't necessarily mean you are ready for that level! Tumbling is one section of the scoresheet. If you can't contribute to a stunt group and are going to end up front spotting/tumbling across the front the whole routine, are you really getting all you can for your money? Is your child learning/progressing as much as she could be?

Just some things to think about from a coaches perspective. I find youth aged kids progress very quickly in tumbling, but are generally take longer in stunting progression. You don't want her placed somewhere where she'll be over her head and not be happy!

@Mom2Cheergirls as well . . .

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing these points up. As a coach I've tried (and failed) to explain these issues to cheer moms time and time again.

-Just because your child is physically ready for a certain level, doesn't mean they are MENTALLY ready for a level.

-Even though, "Oh she's SO ready for Senior 4 she wants it so so bad!" Doesn't mean that is necessarily what is best for her development in the sport. Children don't make decisions for themselves for a good reason.

-Having the tumbling for a certain level also doesn't necessarily mean you are ready for that level! Tumbling is one section of the scoresheet. If you can't contribute to a stunt group and are going to end up front spotting/tumbling across the front the whole routine, are you really getting all you can for your money? Is your child learning/progressing as much as she could be?

Just some things to think about from a coaches perspective. I find youth aged kids progress very quickly in tumbling, but are generally take longer in stunting progression. You don't want her placed somewhere where she'll be over her head and not be happy!

I take my perspective by having a coach who has spent a lot of time explaining this as well - so keep on explaining as a coach - it does sink in :) if you hear it enough

Don't be super quick to commit to any gym telling you super early in any process that they'll put her where you want her.

It is really easy for a coach to see a kid tumble at an open gym before evals and be all "Oh she is definitely ready for Level 4, bring her on over."

Then 2 months later once you're officially part of the program, she's being moved to Level 3 for whatever reason and you're upset.

Any good gym is going to do a full evaluation, be honest with you, and place where THEY feel she'll work best -- even if it's that she's likely going to be placed on Level 3 and MAYBE cross over to 4.

Last edited:
Also remember that it's not just your child's skills that are being evaluated. It's their skills compared to all other athletes' skills in the gym.
So, if your child has X skills but 20 have X + 2 skills they may not place her on X level because they want a small team. So much goes into team placement. Hats off to the coaches who do it.

Back