All-Star How Do You Gym Shop For A Certian Level?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The hour long drive to a gym is a huge factor, but definitely check the gym out and see if there's a group already carpooling from your area that you can join!

I'm sorry @wallflower that sounds like a hard spot to be in. In your area that you can drive to, how many options do you have? Is where you are the only option?

Thanks so much for your replies. She has flown level 3 Jr in the past right know she is on a level 2 youth and is board. She is not flying this year, she has had a major growth spurt the last couple years, she went from being the shortest girl in her school class to one of the taller girl. She will more then likely look like a teen before she is 13yrs. Her brother stands 5 4 at the age of 14yrs, I can't image she will be taller then him, but it's possible. Her flying days may be a part of the past, she did learn how to do a twist up over the summer, in her privates they mainly concentrate on her tumbling. The gym in our town closed and we merged with the other gym. Their where 7 girls and it was going to be a level 1 team. Her tumble coaches and the gym owner (whom does the placements) are three different people then their are the two coaches for her squad. The two coaches she tumbles with in class and the one she does privates with (who also teaches the class), sad to say they are leaving at the end of the month. I asked them and they said yes, they would place her on a level four and told me of a gym, sad to say it's over an hour away and we are not ready for that kind of drive. If they where going to a closer gym I would follow them, but they aren't. I am assuming they are being honest I wanted them to be honest with me. As for the gym owner, she is very much for keeping them on teams that go with their age and not skill level. As for the level four team that the gym currently has, all I know is that 1/2 the team drives abt an hour, they followed that coach from a different gym. The owner said that coach will be teaching a tumble class next season, she said nothing about him coaching. We live in a rural area and most of the gyms I am eyeing are in rural area (the largest is in a town of 50,000) with no level 4 (the coach and kids drive to our gym). If we ever do a level 5, if I am lucky that will be a hour and half drive. It doesn't have to be a Sr age team, and I would consider a level 3 if level 4 isn't possible. I've also considered taking a year off and just tumble. Really what I truly want is a stable coach, in the last three years, she has had five tumble coaches, due to the unstably of our local gym before it closed down. DD did want to quite a couple of coaches back, due to this. I wanted to cry when her current tumble coaches said they where leaving and DD isn't happy either. When ever the coaches change, she goes from working on her full back to handsprings thus she regresses and loses what ever full skills she has learned. Also, other gyms are doing tryouts before our current gym is. The earliest I've seen is this weekend, ours is next month. We have one more comp. at the end of this month. Sorry if this is long, again for grammar errors and hope it's understandable.
I have a Level 2 CP, but I am stuck in sort of the same situation right now so I can sympathize. Our gym may or may not have an appropriate team for her, and the next closest gym I would consider is over an hour away. That just isn't an option for us right now. If she were older, at a higher level, and cheer was her only activity I might consider it though.
I can understand the need for stable coaching too. Our gym went through major changes in the last year and we lost many of the coaches CP had been with for 3 years. She didn't regress, but then again she didn't have a lot of skills to lose.

I would definitely take her to some open tumbling sessions or a tumble class at the gyms you are looking at switching to if tumbling for a new coach is an issue. It will give her some time to settle in and get over those transitional jitters.

Back