All-Star How Do You Shake It Off?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Definitely the best thing to do is for a coach to get the team aside right away so they can talk to the team. If girls just walk away and dwell on it, the mind set the next day isn't where it should be.

close "neeps" :) glad you tried it!! a lot of Scottish don't even try haggis! I love it, but only really eat it for our burns supper! :) where about in Scotland did you visit?
Sorry to hijack- Edinburgh. I was in Ireland last year for the semester and I convinced my then-boyfriend to go with me 'cause my parents had gone years before and loved it (He, my bf, loved Scotland too)! I did a New Europe tour, and stayed in a hostel near Edinburgh Castle. I went to some currency museum too, and won a candy coin by opening a safe. I felt bad for the kids behind me so I left some change in there for them
redface.png
. Would love to spend more time there, it was gorgeous and the gardens weren't quite in bloom yet. Neeps, that's right 'cause it's turnips, yeah?! Haggis was, interesting. It was a lot mushier than I was expecting, the way they served it made it look more 'solid' initially, like a plain hamburger or something. Wasn't as bad as I expected..figured I should buck up and try it. I was in shock how cheap the drinks were there at the bars..Ireland was/is going through a rough patch so it was a HUGE difference to me. I still laugh at UK/Ireland's attempts at Mexican food..very amusing :p

Back to your regularly scheduled thread: Some times you just need to walk away, if it's at practice. If a group isn't hitting, you take a break and regroup. Nothing makes it more difficult when tension spikes. Or even have them work something easier and build up to it. Sometimes we would switch to a different item (jumps, tumbling, stunts) and come back when things were better.

At competition- you just need to let it go and know what you're going to focus on at practice. I don't know if teams get 'punished' for dropping things at competition (I would get punished in other sports for dropping skills on beam, missing serves in volleyball, etc) but if they do, it's important to not let them dwell on that whilst still at competition. Just focus on what you/they did well THEN and worry about the consequences later. Getting them used to making up for something wrong with something done well helps put things in perspective.

If its tumbling at practice, I try to just walk away. If it stunting just take a breather and get a drink then come back to it. I also try to remind everyone not to rush and follow that counts..for some reason once things fall a lot I feel like everyone tries too hard and it is just even worse.

At competition if I personally mess up I tend to be too hard on myself so I don't really have any advice there, as I am still trying to fix that. On the other hand, if a team member messes up I remind them that it happens to the best of us and there is nothing they can do about now. Also just to go back into the gym and work on it harder so that it wont happen again.

I think the worst thing ever is when you fall tumbling/bail is when the coach tries to rush you back up to do it again. That always gets me all frazzled and I get nervous that if I don't fix it right away that I never will. Usually I bail that time too and I end up getting even more frustrated. I would much rather take a breather and then go back to it after I can calm down.

All great advice and thoughts and I think alot of it depends on the situation..............but I've found that sometimes, its just a bad day, and nothing has to be said or done. You know it and the coaches know it. Just dust yourself off, suck it up and keep moving forward.

At practice, after each full-out we have a team circle and discuss what went right, what went wrong, etc. and how we can fix the things that went wrong. That's amazingly productive because it allows everybody to take a breather, reassures the girls who messed up, and we can usually figure out what happened and how to do better next time. And sometimes they're just having a bad day or are worn out after really long practices. I notice a lot of things start dropping towards the end of practice because they're just so beat, so we always tell them not to attribute that to lack of skill. At competition, we'll have a group talk making sure everybody remembers that whatever happens, happens and there's no way to change it so our best bet is to get back in the gym next practice and work it until we know it will hit.

As hard as it is for everyone, coaches included, turn analytical and not emotional. Break down the error or bobble into technique corrections and go to work on them. At a comp, you can't do that right away, but you can address with the team "how did it happen" and when Susie Cupcake starts saying "Emily Teddybear didn't ..." you say, "hold on, before you continue, show me where you all were when it started." A lot of time simply by slowly dissecting the events that lead to the fall/bobble not only is there more understanding on everyone's part, but it is like putting olive oil on boiling water ... calms it down a bit.

Then, once everyone is calm and they have understood the events better, walk away, find a pillow and scream into it!

Sorry to hijack- Edinburgh. I was in Ireland last year for the semester and I convinced my then-boyfriend to go with me 'cause my parents had gone years before and loved it (He, my bf, loved Scotland too)! I did a New Europe tour, and stayed in a hostel near Edinburgh Castle. I went to some currency museum too, and won a candy coin by opening a safe. I felt bad for the kids behind me so I left some change in there for them :oops:. Would love to spend more time there, it was gorgeous and the gardens weren't quite in bloom yet. Neeps, that's right 'cause it's turnips, yeah?! Haggis was, interesting. It was a lot mushier than I was expecting, the way they served it made it look more 'solid' initially, like a plain hamburger or something. Wasn't as bad as I expected..figured I should buck up and try it. I was in shock how cheap the drinks were there at the bars..Ireland was/is going through a rough patch so it was a HUGE difference to me. I still laugh at UK/Ireland's attempts at Mexican food..very amusing :p

Aw i just live 20 minutes away from Edinburgh. A town called Falkirk which is half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh :) Glad you enjoyed it! :) haha yeah, i've been to Mexcio and all i can say is that our Mexican food is nothing compared to the real food!! lol

Ok so this is what I do in a performance when my stunt falls: since Im backspot if I see it coming down I usually back off and let the bases take the hit...as the stunt crumbles to the floor I step over the hot mess thats sprawled out like road kill step to the front and center of the mat and get my wristroll snap/shimmy/hairwhip on at rapid speed thus distracting the judges from the mess to the side of me and hence avoiding the deduction-later when I read the judges score sheets I tend to see things like "that boy in the center of the mat worked me out" & "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerk"...and yes it tends to have that many e's because we all know e is the fierce cousin of the letter o.

lol but in all honesty regardless of our stunt hitting or falling at a comp I always tell my flyer that they did everything they could and that it was great...it keeps the moral up during those 2.5 minutes

i find that whenever i'm having a bad day with stunting, tumbling, etc. i can't walk away and shake it off. the more i try to keep doing it again i do worse and worse and screw myself mentally even more. bad days suck, takes forever to get back :\

If it happened at a competition, I, personally, would walk away from everyone and go sit somewhere in the hall and breathe. I know this sounds horrible, but I tend to get pissed off very easily and quickly. So pretty much everyone who was on a team with me knew to stay away from me if something bad happened, especially if it was my stunt. So with that said, I pretty much take about a half an hour to myself to just breathe and not talk to anyone. Then after that, I'm back to my normal, hyper self and am having fun with the rest of my team.

Ok so this is what I do in a performance when my stunt falls: since Im backspot if I see it coming down I usually back off and let the bases take the hit...as the stunt crumbles to the floor I step over the hot mess thats sprawled out like road kill step to the front and center of the mat and get my wristroll snap/shimmy/hairwhip on at rapid speed thus distracting the judges from the mess to the side of me and hence avoiding the deduction-later when I read the judges score sheets I tend to see things like "that boy in the center of the mat worked me out" & "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerk"...and yes it tends to have that many e's because we all know e is the fierce cousin of the letter o.

lol but in all honesty regardless of our stunt hitting or falling at a comp I always tell my flyer that they did everything they could and that it was great...it keeps the moral up during those 2.5 minutes

this year you are not going to do this... because if you did, your base (ME) I would push you to the ground, and replace you in the center and do a BETTER* wristroll snap/shimmy/hair whip... & continue with my own section of 'I whip my hair back and forth'>

btw, your posts are always obnoxious. but i <3 them. hehe

this year you are not going to do this... because if you did, your base (ME) I would push you to the ground, and replace you in the center and do a BETTER* wristroll snap/shimmy/hair whip... & continue with my own section of 'I whip my hair back and forth'>

btw, your posts are always obnoxious. but i <3 them. hehe

lmao!! but see when I walk to the center of the mat the lights go out, the music cuts and "honey its about the hair the style the makeup" comes on lmao

When my stunt fell at Indy, I bawled my eyes out because I felt like I let me team down. I hadn't had a stunt fall at competition before andI was upset because we hadn't missed a tick up in weeks so I was really mad at myself for letting the pressure get to me. I spent hours being upset and being mad at myself until my coach told me to snap out of it and that we needed me and my stunt to hit the next day. And my stunt hit second day, so I was happy again haha.

Back