High School How Does Tryouts Work?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It will vary by each gym and school.

Typically they will do individual assessments on jumps, dance, tumbling, and maybe an individual cheer. Groups are also used for stunting, choreography, dance, and cheer. If you are asking about how your school does it you really need to contact the coach or one of the other cheerleaders.

**Giving life one signature at a time**

If you're more specific about what tryouts (High school, Rec, gym, or College) I'm sure you wouldn't get so many mixed up answers.

Well High School Cheer goes as follows (most that I know of)
You have to attend mandatory clinics. Which consist of usually three days to that entire school week. Sometimes shorter depending on the school.

You have to be dressed out. Wearing school colors would be appropriate. As it shows signs of spirit.

You will learn Cheers/Chants/jumps and motions. As well as dance. Some schools do stunting during tryouts. But the only schools that I KNOW OF, that does stunting at tryouts are usually highly competitive. But it would be nothing but basic stunts. (more than likely)

Some schools do a mock tryout some don't. Mines did. On the final day, you will tryout in front of judges which usually consist of friends of the coach and not actual judges that you would see at an competition. At least from my little experience that I had.

All depending on the school, you would find out whether or not you made the team by your number a couple of hours after tryouts, or by email/phone call.....

You would usually have to attend a mandatory parent meeting as a new cheerleader and what not.

Well High School Cheer goes as follows (most that I know of)
You have to attend mandatory clinics. Which consist of usually three days to that entire school week. Sometimes shorter depending on the school.

You have to be dressed out. Wearing school colors would be appropriate. As it shows signs of spirit.

You will learn Cheers/Chants/jumps and motions. As well as dance. Some schools do stunting during tryouts. But the only schools that I KNOW OF, that does stunting at tryouts are usually highly competitive. But it would be nothing but basic stunts. (more than likely)

Some schools do a mock tryout some don't. Mines did. On the final day, you will tryout in front of judges which usually consist of friends of the coach and not actual judges that you would see at an competition. At least from my little experience that I had.

All depending on the school, you would find out whether or not you made the team by your number a couple of hours after tryouts, or by email/phone call.....

You would usually have to attend a mandatory parent meeting as a new cheerleader and what not.
Is it the same procedure as all-star? And thanks.

Is it the same procedure as all-star? And thanks.
No. Again, every program is different.

In All star, if you tryout on time, you automatically get placed on a team based on your tumbling skills and age. I think Jumps maybe a qualification for teams but I'M NOT SURE. So I do stand to be corrected on that part. But I do know Tumbling and age plays a major factor.

If you have high tumbling skills, good motions, jumps and so on, you'd placed on a higher level team. (levels 4-5 are for the more advanced)

If you have beginner type skills than you will probably be placed on levels 1-3 (Not all three of them, but one or the other)

Either way it goes, you will be placed on a mini, junior, youth or senior team depending on age or skill. (I'm assuming you're not a mini student so more than likely one of the other teams)

The only way you don't get placed on any team is if you don't go to the set tryout dates, didn't talk to the coaches/owner before hand about it and they don't have room for you any where. That's the only time you might get turned away.

Tryouts truly depend on the program. There's really no standard procedure, so it's hard to tell you what they'll be like. If you're nervous about how they'll be run, I recommend reaching out to the coach and asking for an outline of the typical tryout for that program.
Thanks

No. Again, every program is different.

In All star, if you tryout on time, you automatically get placed on a team based on your tumbling skills and age. I think Jumps maybe a qualification for teams but I'M NOT SURE. So I do stand to be corrected on that part. But I do know Tumbling and age plays a major factor.

If you have high tumbling skills, good motions, jumps and so on, you'd placed on a higher level team. (levels 4-5 are for the more advanced)

If you have beginner type skills than you will probably be placed on levels 1-3 (Not all three of them, but one or the other)

Either way it goes, you will be placed on a mini, junior, youth or senior team depending on age or skill. (I'm assuming you're not a mini student so more than likely one of the other teams)

The only way you don't get placed on any team is if you don't go to the set tryout dates, didn't talk to the coaches/owner before hand about it and they don't have room for you any where. That's the only time you might get turned away.
That's easy I'm not really nervous about tryouts I'm nervous that I will fall flat in my face.

Back