All-Star How Far Away Is Your Gym???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ParadiseMom

Cheer Parent
Feb 3, 2013
I kind of see this scattered through out different threads, but Im curious how far everyone is willing to drive to their gym? Would you drive twice as far and pass other gyms to get to one you thought was a better choice. We have a gym 10 mins from our house, but have had issues with them, and the one we are thinking about is an hour 1 way. I welcome any input you may have.

There are some threads on this topic for more information but the search bar can be tricky to find them. We drive 45 min-1 hr. Our former gym was 15 minutes away and there are several gyms closer to home than our current gym. The downside of the distance is that we can't get there as often as we would like and sometimes traffic is awful and it can take nearly 2 hours, but it is still well worth going there.

<10 mins, they were talking about moving which would have made it around 20 mins, but instead they are going to build right at our current location. Within an hour there are about 4 other gyms.

First off this is really long, sorry! It takes me about 45 minutes to get to the gym, usually 60 on the weekends because of traffic. At first I was really skeptical about making the journey x amount of times per week, as I just got my license around tryouts, but its actually not too bad. I find the drive gives me time to get into the right mindset and pump myself up for practice.

I transferred gyms last year and it was the best decision I've ever made. It may take me longer to get there each week and I might have to fill up on gas a ton, but its worth it. For me cheer is my safe space where I get to leave my problems at the door and work hard, have fun and feel like I'm part of a family. I wouldn't trade anything for this and I know many of my teammates feel the same; our gym is known for its positive atmosphere and hard working athletes.

To be honest, finding the right fit for me was really important. I love the gym I'm at now, and I would still go there if they were 2 hour or more away from me, because at the end of the day, life is short and you've got to do whats best for you and your family. I used to travel 15 minutes, only to spend 4 hours frustrated, only to cry all the way home and dread the rest of the week leading up to my next practice. Now I can't wait each week and sometimes I go a little bit early just to hangout with my friends there! I hope my experience helps you make a decision. :) Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the perfect place for you and your family to grow as athletes in the cheer world.

There aren't a lot of gyms in this area. We were driving an hour one way to the closest one until we started our own in January.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I kind of see this scattered through out different threads, but Im curious how far everyone is willing to drive to their gym? Would you drive twice as far and pass other gyms to get to one you thought was a better choice. We have a gym 10 mins from our house, but have had issues with them, and the one we are thinking about is an hour 1 way. I welcome any input you may have.

We go to STARS Athletics in Tampa, Florida. We do have a lot of gym options. Every gym has pro’s and con’s, you just have to pick the one you feel is right for you. It’s pretty typical in Tampa for girls to change gyms between seasons. Stars wasn't our first gym. :) DD was in at Lightning City Gymnastics where Florida Wildcats use to practice. We made the switch from gymnastics to cheer. Then three seasons later changed gyms.

Here are some of my local area gyms and how far Google maps say they are from my house… just to give you an idea. These are not even all the gyms in the area, but the more known programs.

STARS Athletics 25.7 miles, 33 minutes

Florida Wildcats 16.9 miles, 21 minutes

Brandon All Stars 22.6 miles, 30 minutes

Cheer Express 30.4 miles 44 minutes

Tumble Tech 31.2 miles, 36 minutes

Rock Solid 46 miles, 53 minutes

Top Dog 44.8 miles, 42 minutes

Envision All Stars 29.6 miles, 40 minutes

Storm All Stars 23.5 miles, 30 minutes

Back