All-Star How Many Gyms Are In Your Area?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We announced earlier this year that we are adding a 3rd worlds team for 2015-2016 season. The new team next season will either be a Small Senior or Medium Coed team.
We have 16 teams this season at the Greenville gym.

Yes!!!!! I knew there were several teams and then I didn't think to add the S4.2. I also remember the announcement about wanting to add another World level team next year. I am very much in the "keeping it real" attitude on pretty much anything but especially when it is something that involves my children. So I mentioned to my CP that there was a good possibility of us having another World level team next year. She was stoked! I could see the wheels turning in her head and I think that they were turning in a very realistic way. She is well aware of all the necessary skills (stunting, tumbling, and jumps) required to be a part of a World level team and her experiences so far on the R5 team have done a very nice job of teaching her that the level of commitment increases exponentially when you reach those higher level teams. She also knows that Rockstar is not going to put something on the mat that isn't exceptional, which is perfect because she doesn't want to put herself on the mat if she doesn't think she can perform exceptionally. The truth is that it is very exciting to be a part of a growing gym that consistently demonstrates a high level of expectation in terms of their product. And yes, I really feel that way I'm not saying that to butter anyone's toast. ;)

We have several gyms in our area. Raleigh and Wake County and the counties surrounding it-prob around 5-7 (Gyms with Worlds teams are just 2-3 of them). But in NC distance is measured by how far you are willing to travel. I had a friend that drove to Maryland to cheer, I know several kids that cheer for gym in Kearnersville, one that drives to SC, a couple that go to Charlotte. We have kids at our program that drive over an hour to get here. It seems like around here, people go everywhere for the program that best fits their needs, and distance does not matter. Great thing about NC, there is a size and style of program that can meet just about any need.

I live in the hills of Central NJ - fairly close to the PA border. We have an amazing amount of gyms within an hour and a half, ranging from small to powerhouse :) I just listed the closest and the bigger names. There are about 20 more which I did not list.

World Cup Phoenix,(PA) Valley Elite (PA), and CJA -35
Gems , Just Cheer, Star Athletics about -45
World Cup Freehold, - 1 hr
South Jersey Storm, Spirit Explosion, World Cup Genesis(PA) - 1 30

Last edited:
Where I live there is one gym about 5 minutes away, and 2 that are half hour in opposite directions and 2 about 45 minutes away. I started at the gym that's 5 minutes away when I was little but when I realized I didn't like loosing all the time, my favorite coaches left the previous year to go to a brand new gym, and it was so disorganized that I decided to try one of the gyms 30 minutes away (same gym my coaches left for the year before). And I was at that gym from its second season till I graduated at the end of the eighth year and it was the best decision :) my gym was way more organized, great staff who knew how to make and train teams to compete well while also having fun. I would have never considered any other gym in this area besides the one I graduated from unless I wanted to drive and hour and half to another good program.

Feel like I wrote this post! My CP started 6yr ago at a gym about 30mins away -had friends at the gym - made easy car pooling for 5yr olds. I began to really notice the differences in the gyms we would compete against. We couldn't even remotely compete. Sick of loosing. Was beyond disorganized (like showing up for a private w no coach but still expected to pay) we went to the gym that was 15mins away. Very well organized, loved the coaches and the gym itself. Clean and safe. My daughter also did. Due to some staff changes we almost considered going back to the old gym but she refused saying the new gym was home. I was very happy w that decision. There are numerous gyms (all small) within 30-1hr drive. 2hr you will find bigger gyms. But no thanks. I'll stick w my small gym and their R5 for now- it's a growing season and our worlds team will be back fierce in a couple years :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel like I wrote this post! My CP started 6yr ago at a gym about 30mins away -had friends at the gym - made easy car pooling for 5yr olds. I began to really notice the differences in the gyms we would compete against. We couldn't even remotely compete. Sick of loosing. Was beyond disorganized (like showing up for a private w no coach but still expected to pay) we went to the gym that was 15mins away. Very well organized, loved the coaches and the gym itself. Clean and safe. My daughter also did. Due to some staff changes we almost considered going back to the old gym but she refused saying the new gym was home. I was very happy w that decision. There are numerous gyms (all small) within 30-1hr drive. 2hr you will find bigger gyms. But no thanks. I'll stick w my small gym and their R5 for now- it's a growing season and our worlds team will be back fierce in a couple years :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder why! It was the same 2 gyms were talking about :p Notice who this is haha! I figured out who you were!
But yes that R5 is gonna be one sick worlds team in a year or 2!

The talent pool is definitely split especially on the higher teams; it is rare for a gym to be able to field more than one Level 5 senior team; and most gyms rely heavily on crossovers to fill out their programs.

This! There is so much great talent in the area but they are now split among this big gyms...which makes it hard to have one phenominal team.

I can think of at least 6-7 gyms across Long Island, all on the smaller side but most having enough teams for everyone to find the right spot. The talent pool is definitely split especially on the higher teams; it is rare for a gym to be able to field more than one Level 5 senior team; and most gyms rely heavily on crossovers to fill out their programs. The closest big name gyms are located in NJ. Any big name gyms looking for a new location for a program, Long Island is ripe for the pickin'!
Was just talking about this(yet again ) with my mom. Do you truly feel we have enough athletes to support what we want and for what I now drive 90 miles? I often wonder if it would be worth it to a big name gym to cross over the river. It might put the existing gyms out of business and No big name wants to be that bad guy.

Was just talking about this(yet again ) with my mom. Do you truly feel we have enough athletes to support what we want and for what I now drive 90 miles? I often wonder if it would be worth it to a big name gym to cross over the river. It might put the existing gyms out of business and No big name wants to be that bad guy.
I don't know. That plus the long-standing priority of high school cheer may have kept interest away. I think though the next year or two may be a game changer for all star cheer if NYS creates a whole regional/states competition format and holds to their stance on teams not leaving the state for comps after this season. Unfortunately any real changes might happen too late to benefit either of our cps.

I can think of at least 6-7 gyms across Long Island, all on the smaller side but most having enough teams for everyone to find the right spot. The talent pool is definitely split especially on the higher teams; it is rare for a gym to be able to field more than one Level 5 senior team; and most gyms rely heavily on crossovers to fill out their programs. The closest big name gyms are located in NJ. Any big name gyms looking for a new location for a program, Long Island is ripe for the pickin'!

I never knew Long Island had that many programs. I figured y'all just went to Jersey. I'm impressed.

Upstate NY has a quite a few gyms but only a handful that people will recognize the name of. If you're a level 5 athlete, there aren't a lot of uber competitive options for you. I feel like most level 5 teams do not stay consistent with their successes from season to season. It's like they'll have a good year and then a rebuilding year and then an alright year and then another rebuilding year. I think I can count on my fingers how many times a NY team has made it into Worlds Finals.

I don't get it to be honest. We (I haven't accepted I've moved yet, clearly) are surrounded by states who have very notable teams in terms of world teams - NJ, PA, MA, even Ohio, but NY? Not so much. I always wonder why.

I never knew Long Island had that many programs. I figured y'all just went to Jersey. I'm impressed.

Upstate NY has a quite a few gyms but only a handful that people will recognize the name of. If you're a level 5 athlete, there aren't a lot of uber competitive options for you. I feel like most level 5 teams do not stay consistent with their successes from season to season. It's like they'll have a good year and then a rebuilding year and then an alright year and then another rebuilding year. I think I can count on my fingers how many times a NY team has made it into Worlds Finals.

I don't get it to be honest. We (I haven't accepted I've moved yet, clearly) are surrounded by states who have very notable teams in terms of world teams - NJ, PA, MA, even Ohio, but NY? Not so much. I always wonder why.
I can count on one hand the number of kids who have taken the plunge and made the change to NJ, and all to WC. It's a huge commute and expense just in tolls and gas plus the travel time involved. I have utmost admiration for anyone who has done it/is currently doing it and everyone who has done it has had no regrets with their choice.
I blame HS cheer on the lack of competitive level 5 teams, at least on Long Island. Not many athletes on the most competitive varsity teams (Rocky Point, Mt. Sinai, Sachem) do all star as well. The time commitment and cost is just too much. Plus for those teams, school cheer has pretty much been a year round activity. (This and the fact that girls soccer and lax are huge here.)
I don't think any team from Long Island has made it to finals at Worlds.

As far as I can figure, there are about 15 within 45 minutes of downtown Indianapolis. About 5 of those are within a 30 minute drive for me.

it's okay, I still say "we" and mean NJ, but I'll be back there soon enough :D after living in NJ my entire life and spending some time in NY, I just think it's the huge size of the state mixed with the population size. I can travel the entire length of NJ in 2.5 hours (without traffic) - meaning I can basically go to any gym in the entire state if I wanted to. on top of that the population density is crazy.

Right now I am in a "metropolitan" area of NYS, which to me is semi-laughable (in the nicest way possible) because the entire town's population has less people than my hometown's high schools. Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Ithaca - yes, I'd call them metropolitan cities.. not where I am. I think the nearest gyms to me up here are about an hour drive... but add in the potential of bad weather for the majority of the season and the hilly backroads I'd have to take to get there..

like to get to most gyms at home, I'd hop on the parkway, get off the parkway and there's the gym (or turnpike, depending on the gym.) In NY, I'd have to take a one lane, hilly road about a half hour before I got to the highway to take me to the city where the gym is located. If I get stuck behind a big truck (which 75% of the time, I do) forget it. Add in another half hour. Add in snow and I'll never get there on time. NY has the talent but everything is SO spread out. Now, I am sure people who have lived in NY their whole lives are much less phased by the weather and icy hills than I am, but the two states are SO drastically different.

I can count on one hand the number of kids who have taken the plunge and made the change to NJ, and all to WC. It's a huge commute and expense just in tolls and gas plus the travel time involved. I have utmost admiration for anyone who has done it/is currently doing it and everyone who has done it has had no regrets with their choice.
I blame HS cheer on the lack of competitive level 5 teams, at least on Long Island. Not many athletes on the most competitive varsity teams (Rocky Point, Mt. Sinai, Sachem) do all star as well. The time commitment and cost is just too much. Plus for those teams, school cheer has pretty much been a year round activity. (This and the fact that girls soccer and lax are huge here.)
I don't think any team from Long Island has made it to finals at Worlds.
The gas prices have helped and I've figured out the cheapest way to go toll wise. Ah the siren song of the dark side.

We have CEA (Raleigh) and then some gym named Cheer Carolina All stars they're located in Hillsborough, NC (don't know how popular they are here on the boards)

Back