How Much Competition Do You Want?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CAmom66

Cheer Parent
Jan 28, 2014
Would you rather have your team compete in a division all by yourselves, or against one or two teams that you know you can beat? So, you basically show up, do your thing and collect your trophy, jacket, etc.

OR, would you rather have lots of teams in your division, and think there's a good chance that you might not get 1st?

I prefer lots of teams. We usually lose though. :-( But even so, what fun is a competition if there's nobody to compete against.

Tough question, I think it really depends on team and coaches. Personally, I don't mind having A competition (note - not all of them) where we are guarenteed a win. Especially if I know we aren't going to win any of the other competitions. It's a good esteem boost for the kids and lets them have their winning day. For the most part I like having large divisions because it pushes my kids to know what to strive for and gives them something to work towards. It gives them an end goal. Winning a large division is alot more exciting than getting first out of two teams.

We were looking at competing a level higher than we are now but because we would only attend one competition with other teams in our division, we decided to drop down, kick butt, and really push the creativity. It's still not a given that we are going to win, with Summit bids in everyone's long-term goal, the divisions are really really tough this year.

Last season I was on a prep team and had no competition in my division the entire season. Yes, the jackets we won were nice, but it was such an empty & expected win. Also, because we didn't have other teams in our division, girls got lazy at practice since they knew we would win anyways.

Overall, not my cup of tea. I like bigger divisions. :)

The Fierce Board App!

It depends on the team. The kids I coach had the option of going in the regular division against 3 other teams, or on their own with a larger (more kids on the floor, not more teams) category. They're 9-10 years old and just starting in cheer. I put them in their own division cos I said I would put every kid on the floor as often as I could. I'd rather give them all the chance to compete/perform rather than having kids sit out at this point. I forgot to tell them though that the other teams were not actually in their division, and just told them there were 4 teams total in elementary. I didn't want them thinking they could slack off in practice. They of course took first, but they nailed their routine and they probably would have placed first anyway. But the most important thing for me with this team is getting kids involved and participating, and that's what guided my decisions with this team. My older kids, I prefer for them to have competition. It pushes them more.

CP likes it when they have between 4-7 teams.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Same. It's a good amount of competition! I don't mind a bigger comp but for the average comp, 4-7. We used to have 1-2 in our division at every comp here though. Luckily they've grown (cheer in the area has grown too) and even going to the same event as you did two years ago, you can have 3-4x the competition.

I like for the first competition of the season to be small. Most of the girls on my teams it is their first year. Placing right out the door is good for their confidence, and it gets them excited for the rest of the season. After that, I want a challenge. I also want them to know that they won't win every time.
My girls are little, and most don't realize how many are in their division anyway.

Would you rather have your team compete in a division all by yourselves, or against one or two teams that you know you can beat? So, you basically show up, do your thing and collect your trophy, jacket, etc.

OR, would you rather have lots of teams in your division, and think there's a good chance that you might not get 1st?

If you ask my CP, she thrives on the competition... She prefers to get in battle for her jacket, trophies, medals, etc... When she knows that they have no competition, there is a drop in motivation... I actually seen the 'Eye of the Tiger' rage surge through my daughter when there are other teams to compete against...It is like watching gladiators going to battle... Love It!!!
PS: My CP also loves meeting other people from other teams, so that is another reason why she thrives off the competition...

I prefer a mix over the season - competitions with 3-4 teams in our division and 10-20 teams.

It gives the girls a good chance to win some, but they still now they have to work hard because there are competitions coming that won't be easy to place well, even if they hit flawless.

Having no competition happens - them we go against the scoresheet. But it's not what i prefer.

I can't imagine ever not wanting as many teams in the division as possible.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

I would like competition. It does make my stomach drop to see teams that I know are good in our division, but I would rather have competition then none.

Back