All-Star How Much Is Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it's different because Cheerleading is all year round... while other sports such as swimming, basketball, and soccer etc only last a few months during their season.
Swimming is year-round for competitive (non rec) swimmers. There is no off season either. You have meets ---year round.

Last year I tripled team.. I started off on just one but by first competition I was on 3 -__- I was at the gym everyday but friday.. I would say it began to be too much!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
This is my fear. We are now in the gym 15 or more hours per week and its pretty much 7 days a week. I'm not complaining and it's an honor to be crossing over like this but I don't want to end up with an injury due to no time off. . .

Well my daughter practices 16 hours a week for High School and All-Stars and that doesn't include tumbling classes so it really just depends on the kid!

Let me get this straight. Averaging 3 hrs per day for 5-6 days per week is NOT considered a gym rat?
And last year you would average up to 5 hrs PER day for 6 days PER week?
i guess i shouldn't have said i spent that much time in the gym because about 8 hrs per week was for high school cheer with practices and games so it was only about 15 hours in the all star gym each day was a diff number of hours and since my program has multiple locations that are within driving distance, I cheered at two of them. This year i only cheer at one location and that only takes up about 7 hours over 2 days plus 8 for hs plus maybe another 3 or 4 for private lessons and open gym, last year it was like 2-4 hours 5 days a week plus the 8 for hs ... but I'd say more than 15 hours in the actual cheer gym would be a gym rat:)

This is my fear. We are now in the gym 15 or more hours per week and its pretty much 7 days a week. I'm not complaining and it's an honor to be crossing over like this but I don't want to end up with an injury due to no time off. . .
its also hard at competitions having to compete so many times! It does for sure get you in shape though!

Depends on the person, not everybody is cut out to be level lets just say that much.

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

A lot of people i know complain about being at the gym more than twice a week, but I cant see you going that far in any sport, or anything with that short of a commitment level...then again they are often the same people who mother Susie. But I guess "Too much" depends on what you want to accomplish. Having a gymnastics background i know how it feels to have to train multiple hours per eventand if i commited 10 hrs a week it would only get you so far...I digress.

at my worst point (time wise) last year I was double teaming and I was in the gym an easy 35 hours a week the hour between practices I would either sleep do homework or put on my ipod and mark everyones routines...lemme just say if any single World Cup, Tsunami, CEA, or Smoed Guy/girl got hurt in warmups at worlds I could have filled in for them and no one would be the wiser ;)

I'm reading a book called This is Your Brian on Music, and it says that it takes at MINIMUM 10,000 hours of practice and instruction in something to master it. just a fun thought to go with all of you saying how much time you spend in the gym.

My CP was on 3 teams last year (mini 3, youth 2 and hip hop). Both of her cheer team practices were back to back so that was only 6 hours, plus 2 for hip hop and 2.5 for classes. I don't think a little over 10 hours was too much for her, but this year she is only on one team so I can have a break...

Back