How To Coach Jumps To 8 Count

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 18, 2015
So I have been coaching about 5 years for a youth football and cheer league. I am not the greatest but most of my girls that have aged out of my program go on to successfully try out for their middle schools teams. So while I may not be perfect, at least they are leaving me with enough confidence and skill to go further, which ultimately has been my goal. Well now I have girls that are more competitive and want to do more competition like material. So my problem is this.....I have found a million different ways to approach a TT or Pike or Hurdler/Herkies. I have always used the clasp 1, High V 2, whip and dip 3, T 4, hit jump 5. 6, land 7, finish clean 8. But what I see in videos of Level 1 USASF comp routines does not fit that count, especially when you do double or triple TT. So does ANYONE have an 8 count that I can borrow telling me where and when things need to happen? I have always learned skills best if I have an 8 count that I can learn from.

We teach jumps to the same counts that you explained as well. Based on the motions or choreography of the routine, the clap might take place on 3, 5, or 7 though but the motions are still in the same chronological order.

A double jump would hit the T on 4 and 6.

We teach jumps to the same counts that you explained as well. Based on the motions or choreography of the routine, the clap might take place on 3, 5, or 7 though but the motions are still in the same chronological order.

A double jump would hit the T on 4 and 6.
Thanks for the feedback...I guess it seems different watching a video because I don't know where they started their first 8. But what ya'll are saying makes a lot of sense AND makes me feel better that I have NOT been teaching incorrect techniques :)

It sounds like your jumps are double counted and slow. That could be why they seem slower.

We do...
Clasp 1
Punch above head 2
Dip & swing 3
Jump 4
Land 5

We do
Clasp 1
Punch straight forward 2
Bend/swing 3
Jump 4
Land 5
Hold 6
Stand with hands on hips 7
Hold 8

The counts you gave are more than fine though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back