How To Fix Bad Jumps?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2014
Okay. My jumps aren't horrible! I don't reach for my toes or anything like that it's just they're not very high at all and I can't point my toes! Anything I can do to help fix this? :)

Flexibility + Conditioning = Jump Success.

You need the flexibility to make it possible to get your legs up there but the muscles to actually lift your legs up.
Stretch every day to work on the flex part, making sure your toes are pointed. For the conditioning part, check out Conditioning: Jumps | For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling
When doing jumps, focus on the technique first to fix the toe point. Start with spread eagles to get that muscle memory of pointing your toes, then increase the height as you go. The more you practice with correct technique, the easier it will be to point those toes in jumps without having to think about it! Good technique will become automatic! The height in your jump will increase over time (the more you condition and practice your jumps, as your muscles will get stronger).

Lots and lots and lots of consistent repetition. Seriously. Stretching and conditioning is important, but you can do all the hip flexor roll backs you want and your toe touch isn't going to see significant improvement without doing it a over and over again in front of a mirror and critiquing yourself. Doing exercises and then expecting them to magically get better on the first one won't work.
The link posted above is a great one! I like to do side kicks and focus on rolling my hips and pointing my toes. When you're only focusing on one leg it's easier, and if you do a ton on both legs it will feel more natural in the air! Stretching will help, it doesn't even have to be doing middle splits all the time, just sitting in a straddle reaching to the middle for a long time will help. Start at a point where it hurts a little and sit until it feels comfortable, then scoot your legs out a little more. The best part of this is you can do other things while you're doing it. I've written essays like this or done reading assignments.

Make sure you stretch, when you stretch, stretch how you jump, point toes etc. And make sure you work your core muscles, you need a good core to bring your legs up higher. And condition overall. And practice motions, sloppy motions in jumps look 10x worse then they really are. So just stretch, condition, and practice. Hope this helped!

Stretching lots will make a difference, work on your jumps with light ankle weights on and slowly progress to heavier weights as the lighter weights become easier. I heard that CheerBandz really helps with jumps, if you can't afford one or do not want to purchase one just simply tie a stretchy band onto your legs and practice your jumps.

Get ankle weights and practice your jumps on a dead floor with the ankle weights. The go to a normal floor and jump. Your jumps should be a little higher. Lots of stretching wouldn't hurt. My favorite exercise is to do straddle-ups and hip flexor exercises with the ankle weights on! I'm a backspot and I stretch the same amount as my flyer just to maintain flexibility. Hope this helps!

i had the same problem! and my coach helped me with this one:

prob 1:
so when you jump off the ground you are supposed be jumping off of your toes. so when you jump your toes are already pointed, so just drive them up!

prob 2:
I have the same thing going on with me and my jumps. thier fine thier just not amazing. my coach told me to make sure to sit in my jumps more and it will add a couple more inches of height.

also when jumping make sure that when you are swinging your arms or getting ready to jump, that you dont take a little jump right before you actually jump. does that make sense?

and make sure the drive your shoulders for a more high jump. thats all the advice i have! hope it helps! :)

Get ankle weights and practice your jumps on a dead floor with the ankle weights. The go to a normal floor and jump. Your jumps should be a little higher. Lots of stretching wouldn't hurt. My favorite exercise is to do straddle-ups and hip flexor exercises with the ankle weights on! I'm a backspot and I stretch the same amount as my flyer just to maintain flexibility. Hope this helps!
Be careful jumping with ankle weights. The added weight puts more pressure on the ankles and can actually lead to injury if the impact is too repetitive and hard.

Back