How To Get Over A Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I was a sophomore I broke my right forearm from tumbling and had to get surgery now over a year later I have my tumbling back but I refuse to throw it by myself because I'm afraid ill break my other arm, I have a competition this Sunday and I know I'm probably stressing my coach out because I haven't thrown it once this week, how can I get over this fear? When I try to throw I stand there for over 10 minutes and my coach can't spot me anymore because she's pregnant

Get the coach to teach someone else to spot and get them to spot a little less each time. When you feel comfortable and ready try with them standing beside you and eventually by yourself . It's all mental

What helps for me is to imagine myself throwing the skill and then thinking about what it feels like then get a spot and just do it:)

As I found helpful in the past with my own athletes, it's always best to allow the athlete to forget the fear of the skill instead of keep pushing him to get it. It's deathly tough as a coach take a step back but psychologically it's much easier for an athlete to forget the fear of the scale then to push through it cause more mental blocks and possibly quitting the sport all together. It's one of the hardest things for coach to except but ultimately it is best for the athlete in the long run... This method is best for athletes who have a mental block about tumbling certain skills instead of just being afraid and doing it once in a while... As a coach you must know you athletes and understand why they're not performing certain skills.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Every time I encounter an athlete with a mental block, I talk to them one on one. We try to figure out why they are scared. Did they fall? Did they do the skill with a different spotter, and it didn't go well? And then we start with a double spot. I tell them not to think about it, let their body go into autopilot, because they have previously done it on their own. After the double spot, we bump down to one spot. Then I gently ease up the spot as their confidence rebuilds, and before they even realize I'm not spotting them anymore, they have done it by themselves :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back