How To Level Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

StarsMom

Cheer Parent
May 7, 2011
Okay, it's tryout season. Your cheerleader has worked hard all last season to get that 'got to have' skill to go up to the next level. So here's my question:

What percentage of the athletes on the team have to perform the skill in competition for the team to be called X level? Is there a percentage?

Example: My daughter just made a team we think may be youth 2. However, rumor has it the coaches want to push them this summer, because many girls are nearing their running tucks. So how many have to perform that tuck in competition to be called a youth 3 team? I skimmed through USASF.NET and didn't find much helpful info.

Thanks!

A majority of the team should be throwing ROBHS to tuck. To competitive in the division? Multiple trick passes to tuck (front walkover, BHS, back tuck or multiple BHS to tuck).
Remember though that it's not just tumbling, that jump from one legged prep to extended, straight ride baskets to one trick baskets, and straight cradle to single full down can be big jumps for some kids. You also want their jumps to be at least level...but you can still be competitive without them.

I've seen teams who competed level 3 with 1 girl throwing a tuck, they obviously didn't place well.

i think that a lot of this depends on what competitions you are going to and what the score sheets look like. there are different requirements for different EPs.

Technically? I think that the rule is 50% + 1. So, if there are 24 on the team, 13 need to have the skill for it to count.
Realistically? I think it depends on region and how much of a "powerhouse" competition you are attending. From what I've seen, in my admittedly short cheer parent career, you can get away with the minimum at a small competition hosted by Gym ABC, but really need 80% or more to be competitive at something like Jamfest SuperNationals.

My daughter was on a youth 3 team and I would say @ 17 out of 30 had a robhs tuck. We did not compare to teams that had full team tumbling. We had a perfect routine (no deductions) and got beat by a team who dropped a stunt because they had more tumbling than we did. I would rather have a strong youth 2 than an average youth 3.

Typically I think most of the big gyms go with a loose guideline like:
Level 1
No tryout requirement
During season: work towards walkovers
Level 2
At tryouts: standing BHS, roundoff BHS
During season: work towards specialty to running BHS series
Level 3
At tryouts: Jumps to standing BHS series or just standing BHS series (depending on routine), Roundoff BHS tuck
During season: work towards specialty to roundoff BHS tuck
Level 4
At tryouts: Standing Tuck, Standing BHS Tuck, Roundoff BHS Layout
During Season: work towards standing series to layout, specialty to Roundoff BHS Layout
Level 5
At tryouts: Triple Toe Tuck, Roundoff BHS Full
During Season: work towards standing series to Full, Standing Full, Specialty to Full, Double Full, etc.

Then depending on what is needed stunting wise and the caliber of talent that the gym is able to choose from, specific spots may have less tumbling requirements for the level they are placed (specifically flyers,back spots, or amazingly strong stunters). I'd say that for small teams it's pretty crucial for everyone on the team aside from maybe 1-2 girls to have the level requirement, as its very difficult to hide them during squad tumbling sequences such as standing tumbling. For large teams however, I'd say that you could have 4-5 that don't have the squad tumbling, as you could always have them do a crazy basket in the back while the rest of the team tumbles. Now of course depending on where you're competing,who you're against , and what percentage tumbling is worth on that score sheet will determine the importance of having 50% plus 1 with the level requirements vs. 80-100% with the requirements. At major competitions you can bet that big name gyms WILL max out. At regionals or small gym competitions however, you may be fine with 50% plus 1. I have to emphasize though that its not just tumbling skills that the girls will need to max out on........ they will need to be doing level 3 stunting and baskets as well (extended 1 leg stunts, full downs from 2 legs, and 360 twist baskets) to max out in all areas, as well as be clean with the skills they perform.

Now, that being said, there are a significantly less number of youth lv 3 teams vs. youth lv 2.......... you may go against 1-2 teams all season, so you may win for just being in the division when no one else is there at some competitions.

I think it's super difficult to go from level 2 to 3 as far as stunting...it's a big change! Yes, as mentioned before the majority or 50% need to have the skill, but as you have seen most teams have everyone doing the skill with the except for maybe one or two girls. I think our entire Youth 3 team has either a round-off tuck or robh tuck coming into this new season. It's possible for the team to have some sort of tuck...they have the entire summer to push for tumbling. Good luck this season either way!

Keep in mind that a big downside to only having a few top level tumblers is that your total tumbling scores will be low.

My daughter was a Y3 last year and we had team tucks. I really think in order to be competitive you really have to have that (or really close to it). But, that can depend on the competitions you go to. There aren't a terrible lot of gyms that have youth 3 so the ones that DO have that team tend to bring it. Sometimes we only had 2-3 teams in our division, sometimes we had 12, but every team always brought it in that division.

Agree that Youth 3 seems to be a tough but smaller division. It seems like a lot of gyms have youth 4 girls - maybe not enough to make a full y4 squad and who also may be too young or not ready for a move to juniors. I've seen some really impressive Y3 teams this year that were at the top of their game in all areas, especially stunting.

It depends. You can register to compete in whatever the heck level division you want. If you want to win however, the majority (in my mind majority is more then half plus 1, its 75% +) need to have the level appropriate skill. I've seen teams that moved up from two to three because the kids could stunt, but had like 3 tucks. On a team of 20. Sometimes you just have to tell kids that you don't get to move up just because you can stunt

Back