How To Make My Mom A Cheer Mom? (or At Least To Understand Cheer)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 16, 2012
My mom doesn't support me in cheer, I have to practice cheer at home literally because she doesn't want to pay a gym (the one I want costs $30 monthly and the uniform and all the stuff is like a total of $80) but she says she won't pay that much on something that won't give me anything, she doesn't understand that cheer is what I want, is already hard to me to cheer in a country where cheer is just for a few private schools! At the beginning of this year I found this gym because they went to worlds and I was really excited, also when I'm stretching she is like "don't do that!" "I'm pretty sure you'll break a bone or something" and she makes me feel bad, sometimes I feel so worthless because is the first time I feel so good with an sport and she doesn't get it, when my sister was a cheerleader in HS she was so supportive but not with me. Please help me, I don't wanna give up before starting. :'(

Just tell her its something you really want to do and work hard at it. If she won't pay, sometimes gyms do scholarships and if that doesn't help maybe you can get a job and pay for it yourself (if you're old enough.) Have a coach at the local gym talk to her about it. I hope you get to cheer!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Has she seen videos of what true cheer is like? Explain to her that it's more than just "cheerleading"......it's confidence, hard work, determination, working together as a team, leadership, living a healthy lifestyle, networking/making relationships that can last for a lifetime, participating in something bigger than yourself, having a goal/dream, taking you to places/opportunities that you never thought you could achieve before,etc. etc......the list goes on and on.

Additionally, if you can work hard to perhaps earn some money/save up money to help towards the costs if able, she may start to understand that you are serious about it and be more supportive.

Back