How To Prep For College Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2014
I'm planning on trying out for my college's cheer team at the end of this school year in early May. I'm on their email list, and the team had walk on tryouts a few weeks ago. I didn't think I had enough skill to do it, even though they seem to be fine with limited experience. I'd like to spend the next year training before I try out.

I have limited cheer and gymnastics experience, from middle school, which doesn't really count. As far as athletics go I also did martial arts (just middle school), soccer (freshman-junior year), modern/hip hop dance (freshman until senior year). I am in relatively good shape, but on the smaller side and less toned than I was when I was doing lots of activities. I plan on joining the school's gymnastics gym and take some classes over the next year to improve my body control, flexibility, and get in better shape. I looked around and there are no cheer gyms in my area (and I doubt I would be able to make it onto any teams, I'm basically a beginner).

What are more things that I could do to prepare over the next two semesters, or skills that I should definitely work on? There seems to be limited options for someone in college, and even though I'm not a *total* beginner, there isn't really anything I can find in terms of gyms, classes, clinics etc. Any tips would be very, very appreciated. Thank you!

I think it depends on what the team you're trying to make is like. Are they competitive (go to UCA/NCA)? Do they only do a few local comps/exhibitions a year? Or are they just sideline? If they're just sideline, looking at what the team does at games will help a lot with what you need to prepare for or expect with stunts or tumbling.
But, since it is college cheer, focus on being sharp and clean. Go stand in front of a mirror and practice your motions. Stretch and condition daily to improve jumps and core strength. Watch them at games to see how they act, how they spirit, even how their hair is done (so you can do that same at tryouts.) Those are things that can be done at home to prep.
It's pretty hard to practice stunting on your own, so really just work out so you'll be able to lift people/be lifted. And it never hurts to take some tumbling classes.

Have you looked at the score sheet yet & tryout requirements?
There will be "suggested" skills to have (a.k.a this means it is required generally to score onto the team)
for both tumbling and stunting, plus probably a cheer, jump & dance portion.
If you don't mind posting what college you are interested in trying out for, we can try to help you more specifically with what people on the boards know about the program.

Some general suggestions:
-Stretch every day (look on youtube for plenty of cheer stretching sessions that athletes will lead)

-Get into a tumbling class ASAP. If there are no cheer gyms around, look into gymnastics gyms in the area that will do privates perhaps......most teams will want at least a backhandspring at tryouts.

-Practice your motions in the mirror until they are extremely sharp. A common theme with dancers turned cheerleaders is that they are very flowy with their motions, where as in cheer we want those motions to be clean and sharp.

-Do 5 of each jump every day with correct technique

-Condition your CORE! Having a strong core is crucial for most all skills that we do in cheerleading, especially tumbling.

Thank you both for your help! The cheer tryout flyer actually says "experience not required" and that tryouts are open to anyone enrolled in the school, not just undergraduates. It seems they only compete in 2-3 local competitions each year. It is a small, private school near Boston, MA.

There is a another girl in my dorm who made the team with no cheer, dance, or gymnastics experience, so the entire experience was new to her. I asked about the tryout, and she said there was nothing given out regarding a score sheet. Apparently the process was pretty informal, the tryout was just stretching, showing toe touches, pikes, handstands, cartwheels, and one stunt (she was a base), based on what she told me it was just prep and extension.

I'd probably be a flyer (I'm right around 5' and petite). With this specific info, is there more I should be doing or looking for? The options in my area are super limited, most tumbling and gymnastics classes are for students under 18, but I'll keep looking.

I'd suggest watching the squad perform at events & one of their competitions this next year, to see what you are walking into. Keep an eye out for any clinics offered & get in contact with the coach a month or two before tryouts.....they may let you watch a practice.
Mainly though stretch, work on your flexibility and condition.
Tumbling wise, perfect what you can until you find a facility to assist you in working on higher level skills.
(i.e. rolls, cartwheels, handstands, bridges)
Since you most likely will be placed as a flyer, they will love it if you show the potential of flexibility for body positions in the air.

Some flyer stretching videos:
Cheer Stretching with Gabi Butler - Beginner stretches - YouTube
Cheer Extreme Instructional Video Series Part 1 "Heel Stretch" for Flyers - YouTube

Thanks so much for your help! It's very early in the year (most athletic/club teams are just finishing the tryout period this week), but I'll definitely try to go to any games, events, and hopefully they will hold some open clinics or practices. Thank you again!

Back