How/when Did These Cheerleading Stereotypes Start?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 24, 2012
I'm sure you all know the ones I'm talking about. Bashing our intelligence, morals, friendliness, athleticness etc...

I just want to know HOW these stereotypes came about because I know PLENTY of cheerleaders that are highly intelligent. I know even more cheerleaders that are not easy. Cheer families are the best, and although there is a lot of competition between teams... Cheerleaders are generally very friendly. And as for saying cheerleading is not a sport... No. Cheerleading is one of the most dangerous, taxing, challenging sports ever.

So taking all that into account... how did these stereotypes come about?

Remember that cheerleading itself isn't new - my grandmother was a cheerleader more than 50 years ago. Cheerleading as we know it now is, but I think in the 80s and before it was primarily a thing that the popular girls did. So when you have an activity that didn't require the athleticism it does now, that's made up of primarily pretty, popular girls, of course you're going to have stereotypes. Stereotypes usually have some basis of truth. So now, even though competitive cheer is nothing like the cheerleading of the 80s and before, we're still stuck with people's preconceptions about cheerleaders based on when they were in high school. Plus, most people don't see cheerleaders outside of games. They may see the occasional competition on ESPN, but I don't think many realize the extent of what we do.

Remember that cheerleading itself isn't new - my grandmother was a cheerleader more than 50 years ago. Cheerleading as we know it now is, but I think in the 80s and before it was primarily a thing that the popular girls did. So when you have an activity that didn't require the athleticism it does now, that's made up of primarily pretty, popular girls, of course you're going to have stereotypes. Stereotypes usually have some basis of truth. So now, even though competitive cheer is nothing like the cheerleading of the 80s and before, we're still stuck with people's preconceptions about cheerleaders based on when they were in high school. Plus, most people don't see cheerleaders outside of games. They may see the occasional competition on ESPN, but I don't think many realize the extent of what we do.
Ahh that makes sense. I guess as well since I'm from England we really only have competitive cheerleading, not really school cheerleading so I'm used to seeing cheerleading as it is now, not how it may be in schools. You're totally right though, I guess we're just stuck trying to get rid of the sticky labels associated with cheerleading.

what Ashley said.
like everything she said i agree with!

the general public doesnt see what we do so of course they jump to stereotypes and then all cheerleaders are stupid and blonde and sexually active. really a shame

Ahh that makes sense. I guess as well since I'm from England we really only have competitive cheerleading, not really school cheerleading so I'm used to seeing cheerleading as it is now, not how it may be in schools. You're totally right though, I guess we're just stuck trying to get rid of the sticky labels associated with cheerleading.

That's why a lot of people are pushing to change the name of competitive cheerleading. It seems so silly and pointless, but a lot of people thing that we need to seperate ourselves from sideline cheerleading if we want people to recognize and respect what we do.

I agree with what Ashley said, my grandmother was a cheerleader in high school, but their school didn't even call them cheerleaders, they were called "spirit girls." And pretty much all they did was stand on the sidelines. And since most people aren't exposed to the world of competitive cheerleading, they dont understand how much the cheer world has evolved

That's why a lot of people are pushing to change the name of competitive cheerleading. It seems so silly and pointless, but a lot of people thing that we need to seperate ourselves from sideline cheerleading if we want people to recognize and respect what we do.

I will tell you when my kids started All-Star cheer I was so confused... how can you call it cheerleading if you are not leading any cheer what so ever. I had seen the college and high school comps on tv and they actually lead cheers as part of the routines in the ones I saw on TV so I kept waiting for my kids to learn a cheer for their routine...I shook my head a couple of times. Now I am used to it, but I still explain to people what it is my kids do when I talk about competitive cheer because saying my elementary child is a cheerleader people think she cheers at little boy football games, when I explain she can do multiple back handsprings in a row and stand on one foot while girls her size push her into the air -- then they realize it is so much more and really a sport.

Back