High School How You Got More Guys To Try-out For Your Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ask your male gymnasts. all the male cheerleaders I know started out as gymnasts. and the plus side is, boys gymnastics is spring and cheerleading (competitive) is winter. In Illinois at least.
There's no male gymnastic in the school :( I wish there was because that would be amazing!

For as long as I can remember my school team has been coed. We happened to get a lot of freshman boys last year, but the years before that it was mostly just the girls asking their guy friends to come for a workout and they ended up loving it! I know one year we got only one boy to join but 4 of his friends joined because they thought it looked cool. Schools kind of work with a trickle effect. Once you get one boy in, more will come.

When I was in grade 10, a couple of girls boyfriends joined, two guys joined on dares, a few more who were friends came out to try it and before we knew it we had a coed team with 11 boys... The most fun we had with it was our first comp of the season we had all the boys go out and get the crowd pumped up then we all walked out a little while after them. Best part of our cheer that year "here to win, were back again, the only difference is... Eleven men!"

One of the guys I cheered with was the mascot first, came to practice to figure out what he could do to work with us...and joined the squad. Another was a friend who helped the after school gymnastics program at the elementary school with several of us..he actually played football, cheered basketball season freshman year, came to camp that summer, and while there, called his football coach and quit to cheer instead. His best friend who also did the gymnastics program, was trying out to play basketball. He was so convinced he would make varsity, that we bet him that if he didn't, he had to try out for the cheer team. He didn't make the bb team, but was a good sport and cheered.

The best part of it all? They all stayed involved with the sport for many years. I believe two went on to work for UCA, and all three coached.

Last year we got four guys by some of us pressuring them into doing it, and before each competition one of them would quit, so don't force them! haha

we had a few guys that wanted to be on our team.. but since i go to a christian school they werent allowed. LAME.

Hey guys, Im bringing this thread back because I need help! At my school were trying really hard to get guys this year! Were having open gyms and inviting them but most of them don't really understand stunting/what they would be doing. I was wondering if any of you knew of any videos on youtube or something that show basic coed/group stunts or something that shows how cheerleading is a sport but one that isn't entirely allstar related, if that makes sense. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, Im bringing this thread back because I need help! At my school were trying really hard to get guys this year! Were having open gyms and inviting them but most of them don't really understand stunting/what they would be doing. I was wondering if any of you knew of any videos on youtube or something that show basic coed/group stunts or something that shows how cheerleading is a sport but one that isn't entirely allstar related, if that makes sense. Anything would be greatly appreciated!
Showing them videos of teams like Ola High School or Peachtree Ridge High School might help (even if they are advanced teams)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnDOzZJrcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NeprOOqrQE

I came from a large coed high school we had 12 guys when i cheered. Ill give you the perspective on how me and most of the guys i have cheered with have gotten into it. there was two things that me and most of my friends have had to convince us to do it. 1 was a girl talking us into it, were mostly all dumb and will listen to whatever girls say lol but the other thing thats important too. if you get a guy starting to get interested in it you need to show him a positive guy coach or cheerleader. I know the thing that helped me make my choice was, the gym i went to for the first time the coach was a really good stunter. even after 8 yrs of cheering he was still one of the best stunters i knew. You HAVE to be sure to show the guys you want to cheer what they could be able to do. and the true coed side of stunting if you got a bulky guy and if you have a smaller guy who would be a better tumbler show him a positive tumbling influence. If your going for the ex football players or athletes they dont want to jump and do motions, there gonna wanna throw a girl up and be able to show off that they can do a flip. hopes it helps but honestly a good positive guy role model , a smooth talking by a girl and making the guy feel as comfortable as possible is the way it worked for me and most of my friende
As far as showing them videos show them any video of Kentucky, or Morehead or SFA to show them that cheer is a sport but not just being allstar related. good luck though!

I'm a guy coach and I take my girls into the weight room to work on speed and strength. and the boys saw how hard our girls work....both on and off the mat!

Back