College Hpu Cheerleading As We Know It No Longer???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 22, 2011
Hawaii Pacific University cheerleading announced this morning via Facebook that they will be dissolving their 2012-2013 competition teams at the end of the season. (Technically they made statements regarding the changes a few weeks ago, but the official announcement was today with info when tryouts will be etc).

Going forward, they will be offering 2 cheerleading teams: 1 rec team that will cover all sideline responsibilities and the 2nd will be an all girl Acro and Tumbling team!

Hawaii Pacific University Cheerleading - Honolulu, HI - Community | Facebook

Click the link to read the statement from their coach!

No coed at all? :(
I'm not sure they will be able to keep the high standard.. If you dont get to compete you'll probably find another school, and there is a lot of great schools out there.....

This follows a lot of restructuring the cheer program at HPU. Cheer & Dance was originally organized under Student Life (so a student club so to speak) and it is now part of the Athletics Department. The teams weren't allowed to compete 2013, only Group or Partner stunts.

No coed at all? :(
I'm not sure they will be able to keep the high standard.. If you dont get to compete you'll probably find another school, and there is a lot of great schools out there.....

They're definitely killing their coed team with this, but Acro and Tumbling isn't a bad deal! It means the school is taking them seriously as a sport, at least the all-girl team.

They're definitely killing their coed team with this, but Acro and Tumbling isn't a bad deal! It means the school is taking them seriously as a sport, at least the all-girl team.

It isn't a bad deal, at least they will get to compete and are supported by the school like i understand it.
But i always loved the HPU teams and it's not the same now.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If they really do A&T how many schools is that for them? They are up to 10 aren't they?

I would think at least 10 teams. HPU has always spent a ton of money on cheer. A&T isn't cheer but at least our kids will be able to use their skills to get an amazing education, potentially for FREE!!

I think this brings the A & T program to 8, since Maryland had to drop out this season. My freshman daughter at Azusa Pacific said their AD told them HPU will travel to the mainland their first couple of years to compete, and then her senior year she will get to go to Hawaii with her team. I think I'll be going to watch that meet!

According to the NCATA here are the schools who competed this year (2012/13):
Alderson-Broaddus College
Azusa Pacific University
Baylor University
Fairmont State
King University
University of Oregon
Quinnipiac University
UMass - Dartmouth

Announced for 2013/14 year:
HPU

That puts it up to 9.

This is horrible. I hate it for the guys in the program and the girls who are more accustomed to stunting coed!! I do think its great that they aren't completely doing away with the program and providing a way to keep cheerleading competitive at least for the girls!! Curious to see how this all pans out!!

Well after HPU announced last year that they were no longer competing at NCA, lots of people left and the only people who stayed were generally the ones had been in Hawaii for a while. Unless they did something, it would've only been a matter of time until their cheer program disappeared altogether, and so, even though it BROKE MY HEART that the HPU teams didn't compete in NCA this year, I am glad that the school decided to do something and not let 10 years of championships go entirely to waste. That's compromise, my friends.

Glad they got to go out with a bang with their group stunt winning NCA!

Well after HPU announced last year that they were no longer competing at NCA, lots of people left and the only people who stayed were generally the ones had been in Hawaii for a while. Unless they did something, it would've only been a matter of time until their cheer program disappeared altogether, and so, even though it BROKE MY HEART that the HPU teams didn't compete in NCA this year, I am glad that the school decided to do something and not let 10 years of championships go entirely to waste. That's compromise, my friends.

Glad they got to go out with a bang with their group stunt winning NCA!

According to some of the HPU cheer kids, it was announced shortly after NCA 2012 that the program would go through changes. The first year of transition meant 1 year of no competition :( I don't think it was a threat of the program disappearing completely, more just waiting for it transition into the Athletic Dept.

Back