Hs Cheer - How Can I Get Girls Interested??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2015
I have recently taken over a cheer program at a K-12 small school where the cheerleading program has lapsed over the last few years. We cheer for varsity football and basketball. Right now I have 5 seniors on the basketball squad. That means next year I will start with zero unless I do some major recruiting.

My question is, how do I create interest in the program? It's a small school, maybe 200 total in grades 9-12. Right now I'm worried most about getting a starter squad - it will be girls who haven't cheered before (since those who have are graduating) and I'd honestly be happy with 6-8 reliable girls.

When we did signups for basketball season, I had about 16 initially interested but all but 5 fell away for one reason or another. I've talked to several underclassmen, even opening up varsity (!!) all the way down to 8th grade. But I just have my 5 girls and no one else has said "Yes, I want to do it next year." I have really had to check my expectations about time commitment, etc. I know once we get a squad started, all those other things will come eventually. But I'd like to get a squad ready to go for the summer - so we can do camp, practices, etc. and be fully ready for football season.

Any ideas? Games, contests, things we can do at lunch? I can utilize my current cheerleaders somehow. They really want me to grow the program, but first I have to get more girls or we won't even have a squad next year!

Our school offers tryouts for football, basketball, or both seasons, which allows them to also do other sports. They don't compete, however. Have your current girls invite their younger friends to try-out, too. They also hold try-outs in late April for the following year. If you don't get enough at the end of the school year, hold a second try-out once school starts for new/transfer students who may want to join!
Good luck!!

Work with your middle school kids! That helps get the 6-8th graders interested in trying out when they get to 9th.

We hold a clinic for the middle school (open to both MS cheerleaders and girls who don't cheer.) It gets them excited to try out for HS and gives them a preview of the skills/tumbling needed for HS. We also invite the MS team to cheer with Varsity for a home game.

We've also performed at MS orientation and pep assemblies.

We also hold a 2 day summer day camp for grades K-8. We get a lot of kids interested in cheer that way as well.

Maybe do a bring a friend to practice day and have the current team members bring people they think would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be hung up on it being varsity. My girls used to attend a k-12 school. They had a high school cheer team and a middle school cheer team. Some years, they didn't have as many try out and sometimes they had a bunch.

I would try to drum up interest in the lower grades for long term. But, for this year, try having clinics for all those who will be in high school next year. So, 8th-11th graders and maybe not limit it to girls. The boys are great for being loud and the bigger guys can sure help with stunting!

Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I'm not too worried about it being young girls on varsity (I'll take what I can get!) but I'm just not used to a situation where I can't even find girls interested in cheering, so it was like these MS girls cheering varsity didn't know the opportunity they had in front of them.

My main concern is how to get this interest. We can do clinics or a home camp, but if I don't have girls who are interested then no one will show up

I am thinking long term sustainability, but reaching out to either your local AYC or Pop Warner groups could help pique interest. Our high school is involved with our local champion AYC teams by hosting a weeklong summertime camp, pre-comp cleanup clinics, cheer with Varsity games, and a local competition. Some board members are active with both organizations. It is a great way to guarantee that most will continue their cheer career in high school and not cross over to AS.

that's a great point. I think I'll go back to those middle schoolers, have the high schoolers teach them what they know and get help from them for recruiting. Thank you!

that's a great point. I think I'll go back to those middle schoolers, have the high schoolers teach them what they know and get help from them for recruiting. Thank you!

Maybe you've already done that, but you should get all of the cheers the seniors know on video. That way it will be a lot easier to teach the new kids next year.
I'd also ask the seniors to write down any traditions that are important to them (it's often the little things). You can still decide which ones you want to keep, and which ones to get rid of, but I think it would be nice to have some traditions continue.

Back