High School Hs Teams That Don't Compete

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 17, 2011
Am I the ONLY one on the fierceboard who has a high school team that doesn't compete? I know the fierceboard is full of cheerleaders who compete, but are there any girls out there who don't? Any girls who are only on a high school team and cheer for sports?

What sports do you cheer for?
What are some creative things your team does for peprallies, games, routines, cheers, etc.?
Do you still love it even though you don't compete?

*And for the ones who DO compete, do you still get to experience true school spirit and cheer on your boys/girls? The high school side of HS cheerleading, as compared to the competitive side.

last year was the first year my high school had competed in 6 yrs. So my 1st year cheering in hs there was no comp. cheer. I still really enjoyed the games, camp etc.

I do compete but we do, do a lot of spirit type things! The only thing we dont do is pep rallies. But thats the school's decision haha. I definatly think I get the best of both worlds. We do a lot of spirit as well as competition. I love cheering for football. Its so much fun!

I went allstars this year but i cheered for my HS (Granite Bay High) last season and we had a BEAST comp team.... and this is the first year tha were not gonna have one :(((((((

Our school doesn't compete. We just cheer for basketball. If we did compete, it would be a bad idea lol.

When I cheered my squad didn't compete, but I had experienced competition before for an allstar league and looved it. I always wanted to compete, but my coach wasn't a fan of it. I honestly think that I would have had a better time cheering if we competed, but I still looved cheer no matter what. We only cheered for football and basketball, but there was a year we attended a wrestling match bc they asked us to. We did perform at rallies, but we didnt do anything special.

Now I coach a highschool team that does compete (coincidentally my old rival school :oops:) and I love it! I think competing makes the team more of a family, it helps them bond. It may take up a lot more of your time, but it also prepares them a lot for college if they choose to keep cheering; I think that it helps them grow a lot more and a lot quicker. We also do all the normal "cheerleader duties", like cheer at football and basketball games, perform at rallies and other events, etc., we just compete as well.

All in all, since I have experienced both sides of high school cheering, I would prefer letting my sqaud compete.

I coach a HS team that does both...in fact, we legally have to cheer at least two games for every single sport during our seasons (we have seasons during fall and winter). The girls like cheering for football and basketball, but not always things like soccer, because the players don't appreciate it and sometimes are mean to them. We are trying to change the attitude at the school...to get them to realize we are there to SUPPORT them!

We do a lot of spirit type things, sometimes for the school and sometimes for ourselves. We participate in pep rally and we make a sign for each team (use that large paper the school usually use for bulletins and paint) and they get to run through them. We also do a special routine for our seniors at the end of the season.

I went allstars this year but i cheered for my HS (Granite Bay High) last season and we had a BEAST comp team.... and this is the first year tha were not gonna have one :(((((((
always saw you guys at comps and thought you guys were good!

but anyways, i don't cheer for my highschool and never plan to. they don't compete and only cheer for football/basketball, and not very well...

I'm on allstar as well as my highschool team(which doesn't compete)

What sports do you cheer for? football &basketball

What are some creative things your team does for peprallies, games, routines, cheers, etc.?
we each get a football player and make signs and goddiebags for them and stuff for games!

Do you still love it even though you don't compete? actually i don't know why i'm doing it because i know more than the coaches do about cheerleading and i find it really boring :confused: so no

My oldest daughter in on the Freshman cheer squad at a 5A high school in Texas that went to state last year. Their pep rallies look like an all-star routine that includes tumbling, dance, stunts, pyramids and a cheer. All the cheer squads, Freshman, JV and Varsity perform at the pep rallies (42 cheerleaders). They could have a very successful competitive team but have never had one. My daughter is also on an all-star level 4 team. That's almost a must to keep up/improve since tryouts are extremely competitive for that school.

When I was in high school it always varied if we were going to compete. In the 4 years we only competed 2 years and it was only like 2 competitions each year (small locals). Before I was in high school the school had only competed 1 other time. The only reason we did when I was in high school is in middle school we competed (my 8th grade year) and the coach went to the high school the following year.
Once I graduated the new coach allowed them to compete one year and actually took them NCA HS Nationals (which they walked away very embarrassed) and she quit the following year. The coach they have now got the job because her daughter was on the team so she doesn't know what she is doing therefore they do not compete.

Now as far as what we did besides the 4 times we competed. We had to cheer all football, boys basketball, and girls basketball. We never had a true JV team because the coach wanted everyone to get a varsity letter so the 6 person team got to cheer Varsity football (home only), Varsity girls basketball, and JV boys basketball (home games only). Our other Varsity team had 16 girls and we did Varsity football and Varsity boys basketball. We also had to do all tournaments and did a Relay for Life team every summer.

Our school only did about peprallies a year football homecoming, basketball homecoming, and sectionals (if we made it past that we would add another). We would just perform the school song, crowd cheers, and an crowd yelling competition where we scored them and someone would do that many backhandsprings. The best part of the peprallies was that our Principal spelled out GO LIONS with his body lol.

Back