All-Star Hyperextended Jumps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Also, I'd just like to point out a bit of a myth. Not that flexibility doesn't matter in jumps, but being ultra flexible will not get you amazing jumps. You need a lot of strength in your core, in your hips, and in your legs.
yay i really needed this thread lol it kills me that i'm center flyer and my jumps are horrible ....i'm gonna try this :)
Yepp that would be my problem! I can pull my leg behind my head and do a needle, but if you ask me to jump- its embarrassing.
Started the leg lifts and I think I'm going to try and do them twice a day. But dear lord almighty they HURT!

I'm living proof that flexibility isn't all that important: I'm old as dirt and as flexible as titanium (as in... not at all) but I have hyperextended jumps because I somehow retain both the strength and the muscle memory to do them. I think many people who are very flexible have problems with hyperextending their jumps because they try to lift their legs to the side, when in reality you need to lift more to the front, so that your bottom ends up facing the audience and your knees face behind you. Lay on the ground and try to do it to get a feel for what I'm talking about - lift your legs up in a straddle and keep reaching with your feet until they touch the ground on either side of your head.

Really work on your lower abs as well. You need to have tons of core strength to get your legs up there. Working lower abs took me from this

24n31b4.jpg

to this

14w51kp.jpg

Really work on your lower abs as well. You need to have tons of core strength to get your legs up there. Working lower abs took me from this

24n31b4.jpg

to this

14w51kp.jpg

i mean.. i'd be happy with your "before" jumps :rolleyes:

but really, they're beautiful! your hard work definitely paid off!

I know Cat Haley (if she'd be willing to share) has some of the best jump conditioning out there. To me she's the best jumper in the industry. She has a whole routine you need to do for stretching and conditioning and such

Also, I'd just like to point out a bit of a myth. Not that flexibility doesn't matter in jumps, but being ultra flexible will not get you amazing jumps. You need a lot of strength in your core, in your hips, and in your legs.
Soo true. My 7 year old sister has her over splits on all 3 sides and is always point flyer but she can't jump to save her life...

You also have to roll your hips and sit into the jump. Your knees should be facing behind you - not straight up. To get a feel for sitting into it, stand and hold one leg out like a level jump. Now, keep your chest up, bend the leg you're standing on and tuck your hips in like you're starting to sit down. See what happened to the leg you have up? (your knee should roll back and your foot rises - just like in a hyper jump) If your jumps are level, sitting into them like that should make them hyper.

24n31b4.jpg

to this

14w51kp.jpg

Geez that's a great toe touch.... I can barely make mine look like the first one!! Impressive:)

You don't have to be flexible, so stretching isn't a huge part of it although it may help a little. Big thing is to practice rolling your hips back. You know how your jumps look ten times better when someone lifts you? That's because you are leaning back on them and rolling your hips as much as you can. Just practice "sitting" when you jump. If you fall on your butt at first, that's fine! Actually that's great because you are understanding how to role your hips. Well good luck!!!

Back