I Can't Get Over My Mental Block For A Cartwheel!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
Kinda pathetic. I know, but I can't get it. I can almost land a front tuck but I can't do a simple cartwheel! Help!! I get to like the handstand position and flop on my face. I have muscle, I was a base half my first season before I got hurt.

I had a "mental block" before on doing a roundoff. What I suggest you to do is to just think about doing a cartwheel. If you think about doing a cartwheel when you are going to do it chances are you will be able to get rid of the "mental block".

Kinda pathetic. I know, but I can't get it. I can almost land a front tuck but I can't do a simple cartwheel! Help!! I get to like the handstand position and flop on my face. I have muscle, I was a base half my first season before I got hurt.

I had a girl like this once... try doing cartwheels with a barrel mat and even doing that into a resi pit. This should help you become more comfortable with getting into and out of that position.

It probably won't make learning a cartwheel easier, but practise on a trampoline if you can. Do it over and over again so you get used to the feeling of falling (it shouldn't hurt if you fall onto the trampoline). I think part of a mental block can be the fear that you're going to get hurt, and I find that if I know what it feels like to fall, I eventually stop being scared. Good luck!

Ah thank you for posting this! It's helping me a lot :)

Back