I Have Some Newbie Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

txtinymommy

Cheer Parent
Dec 18, 2014
I've done some searching here and via google, but I'm still not clear on the difference between prep and regular all star. On competition schedules I see that some gyms have, for example, L2 prep and then a different L2 team.

Where I live, prep is a lower cost, lower commitment version of all star. Some gyms call them "half year" teams as all star is a year round commitment. Prep teams usually practice once a week and attend 3-4 competitions. It is a great starting point for anyone who is interested in all star.

Last edited:
The AllStar prep division was created for people who don't want to/can't afford to do a full year of competitive cheer. They generally have tryouts in November or December (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and practice and compete through the rest of the competition season, as opposed to regular teams trying out in the spring or early summer, then practicing through the summer.
The last time I checked prep divisions only go through level 3, but there isn't much difference in the rules I think. I know no tosses are allowed in L2 prep. (Maybe L3 too?) Also, time limit is 2:00 instead of 2:30.
It's a good way for an athlete and his/her family to work their way into AllStar and see if they are willing to make the time and financial commitment to a full year.
ETA: catmomma gave the more direct answer. Didn't see her post until I posted mine and refreshed!

Here are some more questions.

What are the at large and wild card bids? I understand paid and non-paid.
What are rec teams in relation to all of the other teams?

Thanks for the info and your patience! I cheered in high school but that was quite a few years ago and the world of all star is so different!

Here are some more questions.

Thanks for the info and your patience! I cheered in high school but that was quite a few years ago and the world of all star is so different!

An at large is a non paid bid.

So it's paid where cheerleaders cost/entrance fee is covered.

At large is non paid and the option to go and compete in the regular competition the exact same way a paid would.. Just with no monetary value to you.

A Wildcard is bid is also non paid saying you can go but odds are against you because you have to now compete a day before the competition and win you division just to earn the opportunity to compete possibly the two days with all the others. You are now at a disadvantage .. Because you have an extra day you are competing and you have to win to move on. Most teams that are accepting these aren't confident in the fact their teams can earn a paid or at large or don't attend any other comps to do so. It's very much cutting it close! You competing could be done the same day you get there!:/. Atleast you would be free all weekend to go to Disney right?

These are for Summit bids. The Summit is an invitation only competition hosted by Varsity Brands and held in Disney World. At large bids give you a direct ticket to prelims. From prelims you have to advance to finals. Wild card bids give you a ticket to the Wild Card round, which is held on Friday night. You have to win your Wild Card division to advance to prelims.
Varsity All Star - The Summit All Star Cheerleading Championship

Rec teams are required to cheer for a sport, such as football or basketball, and cannot be hosted by a school or all star gym. They typically are teams formed by town rec councils, YMCA's, etc.

Don't rec teams need to cheer for a sports team (i.e. Pop Warner) in order to be considered rec? And don't they also need to NOT hold tryouts?

I could be totally off base as I am not the most rec cheer savvy person on the planet.

Don't rec teams need to cheer for a sports team (i.e. Pop Warner) in order to be considered rec? And don't they also need to NOT hold tryouts?

I could be totally off base as I am not the most rec cheer savvy person on the planet.
I believe that each EP makes their own Rec declaration.

Prep and rec are different. I don't anything about rec but Prep is similar to All Star. The biggest differences are the length of the routine (2 minutes vs 2:30) and minor stunting differences. Prep team do NOT need to be half year team or have fewer practices.

Prep and rec are different. I don't anything about rec but Prep is similar to All Star. The biggest differences are the length of the routine (2 minutes vs 2:30) and minor stunting differences. Prep team do NOT need to be half year team or have fewer practices.

I was getting concerned about our gym after the responses. I know we have L1 and L2 prep teams. They are not half year. DD is on Tiny Exhibition this year, she just wanted to cheer and can do zero tumbling. I'm not sure if she will move up or not, but I was wondering because she may be put on prep. She's still pretty young compared to the Minis. I don't see her able to do cartwheels well enough for a competitive team a year from now, but who knows!

I think that our prep teams do not have tryouts like the allstars.

I was getting concerned about our gym after the responses. I know we have L1 and L2 prep teams. They are not half year. DD is on Tiny Exhibition this year, she just wanted to cheer and can do zero tumbling. I'm not sure if she will move up or not, but I was wondering because she may be put on prep. She's still pretty young compared to the Minis. I don't see her able to do cartwheels well enough for a competitive team a year from now, but who knows!

I coached a full year mini prep last year. We practiced 3 hours a week, which was less than our other teams. We also had a reduced competition schedule and only one out-of-town event. We decided to go prep with them because most of the team was 6 years old and had just aged off tiny. They weren't ready for the training level of a regular mini 1 team. Prep allowed me to coach to their abilities and teach proper progressions without being whomped every competition.

Tumbling alone does not decide level placement though it can help. We all know kids on teams that do not meet the tumbling requirements.

**If forum lurking were an Olympic sport the Fierce Boards would be the training grounds**

Tumbling alone does not decide level placement though it can help. We all know kids on teams that do not meet the tumbling requirements.

**If forum lurking were an Olympic sport the Fierce Boards would be the training grounds**

I know, but she will only be four years old. Since she really doesn't have any skills now (tumbling, jumps) I am A-OK with exhibition and gaining those skill without a a lot of pressure. From what I've seen there is a pretty big difference in coordination, strength and especially attention span between newly 4 and 6-8 years old. We don't have a competitive Tiny team, at least this year we don't.

She is a great little flyer and has gained a HUGE LOVE for cheer in the past four months, which I think is a very important thing. :) Maybe the most important at her age. I think they are pretty good for a little team, only 2 or 3 that cheered last year. It was fun to see their improvement from first competition to the second, in only a month.

I coached a full year mini prep last year. We practiced 3 hours a week, which was less than our other teams. We also had a reduced competition schedule and only one out-of-town event. We decided to go prep with them because most of the team was 6 years old and had just aged off tiny. They weren't ready for the training level of a regular mini 1 team. Prep allowed me to coach to their abilities and teach proper progressions without being whomped every competition.

How much do your Mini 1s practice per week? Do you have any YouTubes? She loves watching other little cheerleaders.
I think we have 5 competitions in all, one is out of town but just a couple of hours away. She's thrilled to be staying in a hotel with a heated pool. :)

Interesting... my 4.5-year-old is dying to be on a cheer team like her big sister. But I'm not crazy about the Tinys... I don't really want the commitment and paying for uniforms, comps, etc. Think I might just let her do classes until she's 6. But I might change my mind if she really wants to when next season comes around... we'll see.

Mini prep sounds like a great idea if most of the team are that young @retiredl5cheer. What happened to them this season? Did most of them go into regular Mini 1?

@txtinymommy I have a 6-year-old also and yeah it's a big difference in ability. Although some of the difference is due to the fact that 6yo is practicing a lot more. 4yo can do cartwheels but not exactly straight or landing on her feet... lol.

Back