All-Star I Just Wish He'd Put On The Cheer Dad Shirt Already...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here we go again, every year at tryouts it's the same thing and it makes me want to pull out my hair. Hubby starts in with:
1) It's too expensive (we can afford it, you can bet your sweet bippy if it was a "boy" sport no cost would be spared and this would not come up--oh but he says there's no travel for those sports like there is for cheer)
2) There's too much travel (we went to 3 out of towners this year, not too far, he went to 1 of them.---resorts back to too expensive--then also throws in we never get to take trips as a whole family because of these out of towners)
3) She can't get a scholarship in cheer (she's 8. Really?)
4) It's too loud and annoying (then wear some earplugs and enjoy being there for your kid)

She LOVES cheer and she's great at it. He wants her to do softball and basketball this year. I'm all for trying new things and letting her choose what she wants to do, but I just don't get it if there is something your kid loves why fight it---before we know it she will be gone and she'll remember her dad always trying to talk her out of something she loved. And she has no interest in basketball and softball, she loves cheer and tumbling.

Don't get me wrong--he's a wonderful husband and father and is very proud of her--I think he does feel left out--but why can't he just put on that "Cheer Dad" shirt and embrace it?! ;)

I guess I just want to know I'm not alone! Or needed to vent.... either way, thanks for hanging in there with my ramble. :)
Amen!... and when he finally puts his cheer dad shirt on can you have him call my husband too?:help:

I really cannot wrap my head around this conditional parenting nonsense. If my husband acted like some of you are describing I would take a baseball bat to his head. It never occurred to me to think "I wonder if he will be supportive of Droplets sport" because it never occurred to me that I married an ashhole who wouldn't be supportive about anything our children are passionate about.. Whether it's minecraft(kidding, although it's probably almost as important to cp as cheer) or cheer.

In my house you don't get to decide you don't like something and write off your family members activities because they don't interest you.

I think golf is horrible, but I try to make accommodations for my husband so he can play when he wants. I suck at baseball but love to watch my son because he loves the sport. We share a love of competitive swimming (although I do long course and he does that Michael Phelps stuff). My life revolves around driving to and from cheer even though I am the farthest thing from a cheerleader ever. Wait a minute.. I just realized no one in my house supports MY sport!! They all hate horseback riding no matter how much I try to convince them otherwise. We will have to work on that.

Anyway.. Even though they didn't choose the path I would have wanted for them sport wise, how can I (and their dad) not support them and want to be there for everything we can? They're our kids! We do do a lot of hubs and non-cp go in one direction, Droplet and I in another, but it's out of necessity. He has learned to do moderately acceptable cheer hair but I would never expect him to do comp hair and makeup because I think that would be scary.

All I got out of that is that you called my husband an *sshole. But thanks. ;)

My husband really is an *sshole about cheer...good thing there are other things I love about him. :banghead:

*hijacking this thread a little but it is a cute story* After, being deployed since September, my dad surprised me after a school cheer clinic. I was walking out of the gym, and there he was! I ran and hugged him, while my mother caught it on video. It was this March. Then the Navy called him to duty again, after a couple of days. He surprise me AGAIN by taking a n early flight to watch me compete, and then go back. I am so thankful for him an I wish everyone's dad was as supportive as he was. I would also like to thank my mom for dealing with me all cheer season! I love y'all both so much!:) <3

When my daughter left softball, her father the coach, for Allstars, he never forgave her. He would go to one comp a year, the one closest to our home, I would save him a seat, he would waltz in, watch the 2.5 minute routine followed by meeting her at the side of the stage, say "Great Job!," quick kiss and leave. When she was 11 it made her day; at 16 she really resented it and him.

And his argument that she could get a softball scholarship and not a scholarship for cheer was left in the dust when she became a cheer coach. I know both of my daughters wish he supported them in their chosen sport but ultimately, it is his loss.

:(:(:( I was away for over 3 straight years on assignment in Iraq before I actually saw my daughter compete and missed out on some of her proudest cheer moments. Then it took another gym change and another cheer season before I was able to see her win. Sometimes even the most supportive Cheer Dads have to work.

@baghdadfred on Instagram

Back