I Need Confidence Help Now!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 28, 2012
So a while ago I was going to do a roundoff backhandspring layout right after I got and I bailed and fell on my back, so my coach at the time told me to get up and do it again. So I went and bailed befor my backhandspring. So now I an TERRIFIED to do any tumbling other than backhandsprings without a spot and my coaches keep telling me to do it but I feel like if I do it I will stop in the middle of my tuck and fall on my head and break my neck!! PLEASE HELP but don't just tell me to go do it because I can't!!!

Don't worry, the same exact thing happened to me with my round off tuck!! I know how you feel, and now I'm super afraid to do it, and to make it worse, I already had choreography and he put me in to do a round off tuck!! I am really afraid!!!:banghead: But a thread I posted recently titled "Mental Block..... : (" has some amazing advice with it so now I'm not nearly as afraid to do it!!!

I will go read your thread. My coach told me that I need to make a goal to get it back by the end of summer but I don't know if I can

Just try to get what happened out of your mind and tell yourself that u can do it! I think this happens to every cheerleader at 1 point but don't worry! U can do it!!!:)

The same thing happened to me on a round off back handspring tuck!! Except, my coach didn't tell me to get back up and do it over after it happened. Don't think about what your doing. Your body has done it a million times and it will remember how to do the layout (gotta love upscale memory!). Once you start thinking about how scary it is then your going to bail again. Just tell yourself that you can do it but you have to mean it. For me it, I would always tell myself that but I still wouldn't believe it because I wasn't confident. Work on it with a spot, and when your coach says you can do it alone TRUST HIM! Your coach isn't going to lie to you about it, especially if he knows you're already scared. Maybe try it out of a power hurdle round off back handspring. That totally helped me, I was afraid of the power the steps gave me. Do it with a power hurdle and slowly add your steps back in. Good luck, you can do it!!

I know how you're feeling! I've done the EXACT same thing. It's hard but you really just have to believe you can do it, getting spots is a good step but listen to your coaches, they wouldn't encourage you to do it on your own if they didn't think you could! You have the talent and the power, it's just a mental block. Just breathe and take things slow and you'll be back where you wanna be in no time!! :)

Take it easy! It happens to everyone at some point. Fear is perfectly natural, and a normal condition. Just take a deep breath and get yourself back into it. Build up your confidence from starting at some of the more elementary tumbling skills and work your way back up. Give it a practice/private or two to get yourself back into the groove. Make sure your spotter/coach knows the fear and encourages you. Pressure and encouragement are two completely different things. You'll get it back...just take your time and relax :)

Latest posts

Back