I Shake When I Fly.. Help!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2013
I'm a newer flyer on my varsity squad and I'm staying tight in every part of my body except my ankles shake, I can still get into an extension but its just my ankles shake... Any tips on what I can do?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm a newer flyer on my varsity squad and I'm staying tight in every part of my body except my ankles shake, I can still get into an extension but its just my ankles shake... Any tips on what I can do?

I'm a parent, so hopefully someone more qualified can come around and help you. But my cp was always told that to keep her ankles stable to spread out her toes.

I'm a parent, so hopefully someone more qualified can come around and help you. But my cp was always told that to keep her ankles stable to spread out her toes.

This is a good advice. Spreading your toes helps with stability.
Also working on a balance board, a pillow, anything that is instable - do libertys on it, pull body positions.
This will help if your ankles are the only problem.
Is your bases grib strong so you feel them? Some flyers literally need to feel their bases/backspot nails under their ankles to stay up. My flyer was like this and when i once forgot (as a sidebase) to put my thumb under her ankle she was not as stable as usually.

This is a good advice. Spreading your toes helps with stability.
Also working on a balance board, a pillow, anything that is instable - do libertys on it, pull body positions.
This will help if your ankles are the only problem.
Is your bases grib strong so you feel them? Some flyers literally need to feel their bases/backspot nails under their ankles to stay up. My flyer was like this and when i once forgot (as a sidebase) to put my thumb under her ankle she was not as stable as usually.

Well now that you mention it, my bases are taller and skinny, so it's not what I'm used to flying with, but I'm a younger one on my team and my bases are seniors so how do I tell them to grip stronger? Because I'm pretty sure they think I'm the only problem, we have a smaller flyer(not even 5ft) and she goes up with them just her its smooth and solid, so how can I tell them?

Well now that you mention it, my bases are taller and skinny, so it's not what I'm used to flying with, but I'm a younger one on my team and my bases are seniors so how do I tell them to grip stronger? Because I'm pretty sure they think I'm the only problem, we have a smaller flyer(not even 5ft) and she goes up with them just her its smooth and solid, so how can I tell them?

I see how that could be a Problem.
I would recommed to tell them, but in a way that not suggests it's their fault.
A stunt goes up with 4 (or 5), so you should be able to tell them what you need.
I don't think that they will be mad if you just say that you're the type of flyer who needs a really thight (is this the right word) grip. If it helps to keep the stunt up, and not be shaky anymore, everyone in this stunt group will benefit.

If you really feel uncomfortable telling them, talk to your coach. He can adress this. But i still recommend to be honest with your bases, a stunt group should trust each other and be honest, because you all have the same goal: To get better through practise and corrections :) Good luck!

It shouldn't be a problem to tell them. They want it to hit as much as you do and it can only help. When I back different flyers, I like them to tell me what they need. Some need me to grip really hard and low on their ankle, and some want a higher grip. If they don't tell me, they'll be uncomfortable and the stunt won't be solid, and nobody wants that! Just tell them "Can you ______ because my ankle shakes and that helps it not to" and don't be like "uh you need to grip harder." Make sure you're respectful and nice about it! Stunt groups need to be able to communicate

Great question. I don't have any specific info for you necessarily, but as a prior base, I know if it meant sticking our stunt and helping become a better group I would have loved to know what would help my flyer stay in the air. Part of my job was helping keep her safe (as well as ourselves; the bases) anyone coming out of the air in a fashion not planned for wasn't safe for any of us. Knowing how to help prevent that is golden!

Great replies as well, good to keep in mind for the future.

Back