OT Icing Is Wrong?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Whoa. Definitely going to look into this. I'm always concerned with those icing if they aren't following the 20 minutes icing, 20 minutes off but now I'm intrigued by this. Can't wait to hear from the experts on here.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Whoa. Definitely going to look into this. I'm always concerned with those icing if they aren't following the 20 minutes icing, 20 minutes off but now I'm intrigued by this. Can't wait to hear from the experts on here.

I was working at a PT's for six years and they always iced patients with swelling.
But this thing about the lymphatic system makes total sense (like the example with the tooth paste).

hmm... I was always told not to take NSAID within the first 24 hours as it increases swelling. No ice, wow! That has been the go to everytime!

I am currently in PT school and we have learned that it is not beneficial in actually healing and/or swelling. However, it can still be used early on after an injury because it is useful in numbing an area to reduce pain, but that's about all it is good for.

Cp's PT has always used ice as part of treatment. Which was a little bit of a problem with former cp since she has cold urticaria (she's allergic to cold)!
Also just showed this to my sister who is a PT. She said it's just a blog and not based on any medical research; that she has always iced patients and will continue to do so. She said "If they took at least 50 or more subjects and compared icing techniques, anti inflammatories and placebo groups coupled w exercise and came back w equal or better results then they could talk".

Cp's PT has always used ice as part of treatment. Which was a little bit of a problem with former cp since she has cold urticaria (she's allergic to cold)!
Also just showed this to my sister who is a PT. She said it's just a blog and not based on any medical research; that she has always iced patients and will continue to do so. She said "If they took at least 50 or more subjects and compared icing techniques, anti inflammatories and placebo groups coupled w exercise and came back w equal or better results then they could talk".

I have dermatographic urticaria, so I feel her pain.

I'm curious now about this because myself and several other current PT students that I know at different schools are being taught differently.

I'm curious now about this because myself and several other current PT students that I know at different schools are being taught differently.

I don't think she would have discounted it as quickly as she did if there had been adequate research to back up the premise. She's open to new techniques and changes in practice, just not based solely on a blog.

I have dermatographic urticaria, so I feel her pain.
I had to look that up, wow! What a pain! Hers happens when she goes in cold water (pool, ocean etc), is iced (after her ankle surgery we needed to make sure "no ice directly on skin" was on her chart) or if she goes from a warm environment to a colder one (even into AC sometimes). It's just itchy and annoying for her and the hives take awhile to go away. How do you treat yours? Do you have eczema as well?

I had to look that up, wow! What a pain! Hers happens when she goes in cold water (pool, ocean etc), is iced (after her ankle surgery we needed to make sure "no ice directly on skin" was on her chart) or if she goes from a warm environment to a colder one (even into AC sometimes). It's just itchy and annoying for her and the hives take awhile to go away. How do you treat yours? Do you have eczema as well?

I do not have eczema, thankfully. I take 2 benadryl every night. It doesn't get rid of it (there is nothing that will get rid of it) but it helps keep the itching and hives manageable. I work for a dermatologist as my day job and she gave me a prescription for something called Hylatopic plus. It's a cream (they also have a foam) and it's a godsend. Gets rid of hives and itching. It's not fun being allergic to yourself haha.

I do not have eczema, thankfully. I take 2 benadryl every night. It doesn't get rid of it (there is nothing that will get rid of it) but it helps keep the itching and hives manageable. I work for a dermatologist as my day job and she gave me a prescription for something called Hylatopic plus. It's a cream (they also have a foam) and it's a godsend. Gets rid of hives and itching. It's not fun being allergic to yourself haha.
Can you please ask the dermatologist if the cream would also work for the hives from cold urticaria? I'm hoping this will eventually pass for her; it only started about 3 years ago.

Can you please ask the dermatologist if the cream would also work for the hives from cold urticaria? I'm hoping this will eventually pass for her; it only started about 3 years ago.
It probably would. I use mine as a spot treatment, but it is an emollient so you can use it all over.

Back