All-Star "i'm New, Don't Hurt Me"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

F!ERCE

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
PSA: People have been getting pretty rude lately to people who are new around here. Remember that you were once the "new kid", as well, and probably didn't know that certain topics like juniors being at Worlds or celebrating a win have been discussed to death. If someone posts something that is inaccurate or has been posted before, it is entirely possible to point it out to them in a helpful, friendly, respectful manner. You don't need to simply post the "dead horse" smiley w/o any helpful information or make a sarcastic comment; you could maybe give them the correct information. Or even - god forbid - link them to a thread where they can find the information they are looking for instead of just yelling "SEARCH BAR" at them. Please don't scare people off; the more newbies that stick around, the more educated and seasoned "veterans" we end up with further down the road. It says "I'm new, don't hurt me" for a reason.

Off my soapbox...

Can we also keep in mind that the search bar doesn't always work that well. So sometimes people DO use it and are not able to find what they are looking for.

I can't even use the search bar sometimes and I've been around here for a WHILE lol. The "or" function (like someone was talking about the other day) throws me off.

I can't even use the search bar sometimes and I've been around here for a WHILE lol. The "or" function (like someone was talking about the other day) throws me off.
Same! Could you sticky this thread or something? I don't want it to fall into the abyss of other threads without everyone seeing it :)

Would it be possible to sticky certain "dead horse" threads to the top of the page. Some threads could be
  • juniors at worlds
  • who is going to win worlds
  • best tumblers
  • favorite cheerlebrity
  • favorite team
Just a thought. That way those specific threads can be at the top of the page where everyone will see them. There are a few other repetitive topics that keep coming up as well, I just can't think of them at the moment.

PSA: People have been getting pretty rude lately to people who are new around here. Remember that you were once the "new kid", as well, and probably didn't know that certain topics like juniors being at Worlds or celebrating a win have been discussed to death. If someone posts something that is inaccurate or has been posted before, it is entirely possible to point it out to them in a helpful, friendly, respectful manner. You don't need to simply post the "dead horse" smiley w/o any helpful information or make a sarcastic comment; you could maybe give them the correct information. Or even - god forbid - link them to a thread where they can find the information they are looking for instead of just yelling "SEARCH BAR" at them. Please don't scare people off; the more newbies that stick around, the more educated and seasoned "veterans" we end up with further down the road. It says "I'm new, don't hurt me" for a reason.

Off my soapbox...

Thank you!!!!!! Even i get the "search bar" comment.

Would it be possible to sticky certain "dead horse" threads to the top of the page. Some threads could be
  • juniors at worlds
  • who is going to win worlds
  • best tumblers
  • favorite cheerlebrity
  • favorite team
Just a thought. That way those specific threads can be at the top of the page where everyone will see them. There are a few other repetitive topics that keep coming up as well, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I thought about sticky-ing a thread with links to topics like that, but it would be a good amount of work trying to find them all. Sticky-ing that many individual threads would be an eye sore and space hogger lol :) At some point I will (or someone else will) try to put together a thread that links to well-discussed topics. Too busy right now packing for school to get that done.

We should just link them in a Wiki page. That way we can direct people to the Wiki when such topics arise from their "grave".

I thought about sticky-ing a thread with links to topics like that, but it would be a good amount of work trying to find them all. Sticky-ing that many individual threads would be an eye sore and space hogger lol :) At some point I will (or someone else will) try to put together a thread that links to well-discussed topics. Too busy right now packing for school to get that done.
I posted a FANQ- Frequently Asked Newbie Questions post in the Newbie Section. Someone could sticky that so it doesn't get lost. Covered 'Juniors/Youth/SR5 at worlds, why didn't so-and-so win, which team will win worlds, etc' posts.. Feel free to add topics to it..

Maybe I'm going to go off the board a little bit, but why is it such a big deal when someone posts one of these threads? Yeah, I can see the argument if there are a half-dozen "why can't juniors compete at worlds" threads on the front page, but often we're talking about threads that are several months old.

If you want to politely suggest to the OP that the thread they're discussing has been posted about previously, that's fine, but I've never really understood why it's a big deal.

Off my soapbox...

Thank you so much for saying this!! I feel intimidated many times on this board by asking or saying anything. I really can not believe this either because I have been in competitive allstar cheer for fifteen years and do have a lot to offer. Some posters I consider "newbie parents" post many things that just make me shake my head. I was an old school poster on the aol boards with several people from here, but just stalked the pro x boards, came on here and wow, find it to be very clicky. But it is all good, many nice awesome posters also!! Just remember the golden rule treat others how you wish to be treated!!! Sometimes even when the search bar is used you might have something insightful to say that someone does not want the read the 400 previous posts from 2008 to get to!!!

Maybe I'm going to go off the board a little bit, but why is it such a big deal when someone posts one of these threads? Yeah, I can see the argument if there are a half-dozen "why can't juniors compete at worlds" threads on the front page, but often we're talking about threads that are several months old.

If you want to politely suggest to the OP that the thread they're discussing has been posted about previously, that's fine, but I've never really understood why it's a big deal.

I don't know about all topics, but some I know have lead to many big arguments between posters so rehashing the arguments over and over again is just useless. I honestly think that is the reason some of them are ones others hate seeing time and time again. Of course there are also topics that have just been beat to death and are floating around somewhere. I will agree though that the search bar can be confusing which is why I rarely recommend people use it.

I do want to apologize if I have come off as rude to anyone this week. I know that it isn't an excuse but it has been an incredibly rough week for me emotionally and I have probably taken out frustration on some. Most of it was meant as sarcasm but I know that sarcasm doesn't translate well on the board so I apologize if it was taken as mean and rude.

Also I think a lot of the things people say come off wrong. I usually try and read over what I said to make sure what I said came out right. I think a lot of people forget that sarcasm is hard to understand over writing, and that capitals make it seem rude even if you aren't even mad. Finally the use of smileys... like this one: :banghead: you could just mean it in a joking way, like oh this again, and not even really care that the thread is up... but others will read it as you are mad. I mean there are times where people are really mad too, but when reading text theres a lot of ways to take it a lot of times.

Back