All-Star "i'm New, Don't Hurt Me"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the problem is that the threads many of the newbies are posting seem, common sense-wise (which we know isn't all that common) to be OBVIOUSLY over-discussed. If you consider the amount of people on here, we probably have discussed why juniors aren't at worlds or our favorite team or that since nobody's routine has even been OUT yet that it's impossible to guess who will win Worlds (that last one is gleefully shooting yourself in the face).. Have we been a bit extra-snarky with a side of sass lately? Sure. Should we stop, probably. But it's why I created the FANQ- get the main over-discussed questions out of the way so the LEGITIMATE topics of discussion can come through.

how about this: if one sees a newly created post with a subject line that one feels has been discussed to death, they can simply not read it. If the poster gets no response, it might prompt them to keep looking. or if someone wishes to add value to the topic, they may. but posting a ton of rantings on the thread merely keeps bumping the thread creating more of what everyone is so up in arms over...seeing the topic over and over. BUT...if the point is to try to drive all the newbies away with their tails between their legs, then carry on!
not everyone is blessed with common sense, either. unfortunately you either have it or you don't. you can't learn it, trust me, i've been trying to teach my cp for many years....it's just not gonna happen :(

Not to mention sometimes it's good to rehash topics because A) If we never repeated a topic we would eventually run out of things to talk about B) There are always new members with new opinions and ideas and so if we didn't rehash the topic we would never hear their opinions/ideas.

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! I'm getting annoyed when people make negative comments towards "the newbies". I agree, we were all once new to these boards. I think it would be polite if someone could MESSAGE a newbie and let them know where they could find information instead of PUBLICLY attempting to humiliate them. Just to let everyone know, I will be replying to those attempting to embarrass "newbies" and letting them know that attacking often times KIDS is not ok. There is a right and wrong way to approach these things and BTW - Juniors shouldn't be at World's, Senior Restricted shouldn't be at World's, Open level 4 shouldn't be at World's :deadhorse:lol

It's so hard to be considerate of people who insist on not following generally accepted rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Thankfully, I rarely understand what they are trying to say so I can skip over their posts and fight the urge to respond because, quite frankly, it's rather hard to respond to something you can't comprehend the point of. That being said, is there a way to politely request at least a minimum standard of comprehensible English? I see more effort put into posts from those with English as a second language (like all our wonderful European friends) than from some native English speakers. Perhaps a gentle suggestion in the newbie welcome post that your comments and participation will be more favourably received if you write in complete sentences with actual words? Perhaps I'm being too pedantic with my casserole.

It's so hard to be considerate of people who insist on not following generally accepted rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Thankfully, I rarely understand what they are trying to say so I can skip over their posts and fight the urge to respond because, quite frankly, it's rather hard to respond to something you can't comprehend the point of. That being said, is there a way to politely request at least a minimum standard of comprehensible English? I see more effort put into posts from those with English as a second language (like all our wonderful European friends) than from some native English speakers. Perhaps a gentle suggestion in the newbie welcome post that your comments and participation will be more favourably received if you write in complete sentences with actual words? Perhaps I'm being too pedantic with my casserole.
Again, a PM would be more appropriate than a public correction IMO.

I think it generally boils down to 1 of 2 things. Either they are just plain lazy, or they are just desperate to start a thread. Neither of which, should result in being coddled. We're probably asking too much though. Many times, when people actually do revive a thread, they won't even read the entire thing before posting!

w311 ub3tt3r gtf0 b3cau53 im h3r3 to r3ign

I really think people should the right to type however they want, if you dont want to / cant read it, then dont. You really are taking away people's basic rights if you do anything to them for typing wrong. I understand youre only asking for a little suggestion, which would be okay, but anything more than that is just wrong in my opinion.

Back