All-Star Insurance Issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Even if Obamacare passes, gyms and EPs will need to carry insurance, because lawsuits will still happen. Lawsuits go for "deep pockets".

Yes but it will change what type of insurance you carry and why.

For starters as a governing body, gymnastics has mandatory background checks. Not completely the issue but certainly a part of it.

As a member of USAG . . . I think it should also be the same for USASF but I do not think it has anything to do with my ability to safely teach tumbling.

As a member of USAG . . . I think it should also be the same for USASF but I do not think it has anything to do with my ability to safely teach tumbling.

Gymnastic numbers are SEVERLY down and they face a similar and bigger problem. Gymnastics is a lot smaller in the US than cheerleading.

As for the insurance thing I believe it is a bigger deal than most believe or others would care to admit. I would like us to call some insurance companies today and find out if there is more than 2. Remember college had to change because of insurance, it isn't unthinkable allstar would have to act as well (though not in the current way).

Insurance is a big deal for me, which is why I was so shocked to hear some higher ups say it wasnt a huge issue. It wasn't fun finding insurance for our gym, but we found it and feel much better about running a program knowing we have it. We can train in our sport all day, everyday, but accidents happen. Its nice to be covered.

One of my children was hurt at an event and is suing the EP. It had nothing to do with anything the event producer did, but that is how it has to be from a legal standpoint. It was the actual venue ( a radiator fell off the wall onto her and she broke her femur and and arm) - it very nearly killed her.

This is completely different though. The only reason I can ever, ever think of to sue an EP is if a child got injured and suffered severe injury due there being no trained emergency personnel on staff- which is not disclosed to parents prior to an event. Think improperly diagnosed closed-head injuries, internal bleeding, or other complications from a delay in proper treatment. Or if the stage lighting fell onto the met during a performance, something to that effect.

Insurance is a big deal for me, which is why I was so shocked to hear some higher ups say it was a huge issue. It wasn't fun finding insurance for our gym, but we found it and feel much better about running a program knowing we have it. We can train in our sport all day, everyday, but accidents happen. Its nice to be covered.

Well I understand the motivation for a lot of these decisions. I can tell you the process they went about setting these rules ruined whatever good these rules might have done. I mean why the heck didn't someone mention insurance in any of this?

Several years ago...medical malpractice insurance changed in PA(maybe other states as well)Many doctors could not afford to continue practicing it may be that the kind of liability insurance that EP's and gyms need to have is becoming cost prohibitive but it seems to me that these changes are drastic and did not go through the proper channels and that is where the main problem is.
I wonder if this is part of he reason our little girls family has to sue the EP? Took place in PA, correct hopskipandjump?

Well I understand the motivation for a lot of these decisions. I can tell you the process they went about setting these rules ruined whatever good these rules might have done. I mean why the heck didn't someone mention insurance in any of this?

Well, everyone always complains about how long it takes to get anything done with USASF... guess they proved everyone wrong!

This is completely different though. The only reason I can ever, ever think of to sue an EP is if a child got injured and suffered severe injury due there being no trained emergency personnel on staff- which is not disclosed to parents prior to an event. Think improperly diagnosed closed-head injuries, internal bleeding, or other complications from a delay in proper treatment. Or if the stage lighting fell onto the met during a performance, something to that effect.
There was no EMT on staff. We had to wait for an ambulance to come. Unfortunately, the way it legally worked out, the family had to sue the EP which in turn had to sue the facility.

I know that we had a lot of problems getting insurance here in the UK as cheer is still so small. When I took over the cheer program at our gym British Gymnastics covered cheer and my acro and tumbling qualifications we're accepted. However they quickly discovered the cheer organisation they were working with was not fit for purpose and cut all ties. This left us having to find a separate insurance policy to cover cheer. When we approached our insurance company they had to go away and research cheer qualifications as they would not take us on unless they felt the coaches were suitably qualified. Thankfully I had just completed my credentialing and this was one they decided to recognise. However if they knew what the credentialing process entail I doubt they would have been so willing. I am currently working with them to develop a hands on and theory based course similar to that used in gymnastics for coaches in northern Ireland that means they will find it much easier to get insured than we did.

Injury takes on many forms. Insurance companies want to know how you are minimizing the exposure to risk. A predator with great tumbling experience does not minimize the risk. Due to the Penn State debacle (and the others that followed) , it has received nation wide exposure. So let's say a coach for USA Tiddlywinks (who requires mandatory background checks) decides to abuse an athlete...the law firm who represents the abused athlete will have a tougher time going at it with the organization as a whole if litigation ensues. They have applied a standard of care.

I am pretty sure I sign a medical release waiver everytime I compete. And when signing, I am stating that I am aware that these skills are risky, and throwing skills is at my own discretion... What is the point in me signing a waiver if they dont want to use the insurance they have to make sure i am taken care of if I do happen to get injured?? Insurance. Use it. :( the point of the sport is to defy the laws of physics. If I want to throw a double double, train me correctly, and then allow me to throw it. Have all coaches be certified CORRECTLY (dont allow someone to spot a double if they learned how to spot from a youtube video), and then this problem wont occur. Teach all coaches progression, and then the athletes body will condition itself because you are then teaching the athlete to perfect a skill before moving on... this is not that hard. grrrrr

I don't think Insurance is an issue.. When I first started my own gym before merging it, I had absolutely no problem getting insurance.. There are several Sports Insurance companies that will fight for your business. Just like anything else, it is a sales job and I can guarantee in this economy there are several companies that will insure cheerleading, since I had many Sports Insurance agencies fighting for my business. I did a lot of research when looking for insurance before going with one.. there are by no means only 2 that will insure cheerleading.

Signing a waiver doesn't mean anything.

In Canada, at least, if a parent or guardian signs a waiver for a minor, that minor can pursue legal action after they reach the age of majority. As someone already said, if waivers are misleading or untrue, they can be nullified.

Waivers are just barely covering your own booty. If something goes seriously wrong, there are ways around a signed waiver. And people who have been hurt (emotionally, physically) are pretty darn resourceful when it comes to seeking repentance and/or damages.

We need insurance. Athletes, gyms, EPs.

Back