Intro & First Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

HappyGirls

Cheer Parent
Feb 2, 2016
Thank you for allowing me to join your board! I am a newbie cheer parent with NO cheer background (I was a varsity swimmer through college). I have 2 young daughters 5 & 7 years old...the 7 year old has cheered rec for 2 years and is on an 8U level 2 team--a great fit, as she has just gotten level 2 skills. The 5 year old has cheered for 6 months and is also on the 8U level 2 team. The 5 year old has developed her tumbling skills pretty quickly--she started tumbling lessons 14 months ago, and at that time could only do a cartwheel--but last week she got her standing tuck on the floor.

I would like to keep the 5 year old in rec cheer because she's also a really good lacrosse player and we like to do that in the spring. I am looking for things that will help keep her challenged, as will probably be a while before we move past level 2 team competition.

So my question is regarding solo cheer competition..do all solo cheer competitions limit 6U to level 1 skills and 8U to level 2 skills?

Any other thoughts or advice?

No, you're likely not to be limited by age and skill. Most competitions do individuals by age only. Some competitions do individuals by age and skill, but they're not limited (this past weekend, I saw a mini level 4 competitor).

For reference, in the all star world, 8U is Mini and 6U is Tiny.

No, you're likely not to be limited by age and skill. Most competitions do individuals by age only. Some competitions do individuals by age and skill, but they're not limited (this past weekend, I saw a mini level 4 competitor).

For reference, in the all star world, 8U is Mini and 6U is Tiny.

Thank you Sarah! I must be reading it wrong--or maybe it's an Epic Brands rule?

I think this must be what you're reading: http://theepicbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2015-2016-EPIC-Cheer-Solos-Groups.pdf

I think your child can compete in any age division she's eligible for. So, if she wants to throw skills higher than level 1 or 2, she'd need to compete in the youth division. Notice only the Senior age division has a lower limit. But, just because she has one higher level skill does not mean she should compete in that level. You need to be an outstanding all around (jumps, motions, performance, specialty pass, etc.) to be competitive for the level you attempt.

Thank you Sarah! I must be reading it wrong--or maybe it's an Epic Brands rule?
I haven't run into any this year, but clearly some even producers limit it. Sorry! Yes, you have to follow their rules, but like @MyGirlCheers said, there is no bottom age limit on Youth (11U) or Junior (14U) divisions, so theoretically you could enter them into those divisions. You have to understand, then, that they'd likely be competing against some 12 or 15 year olds (age limits are based on ages as of 31 August 2015 for this cheer season).

I think this must be what you're reading: http://theepicbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2015-2016-EPIC-Cheer-Solos-Groups.pdf

I think your child can compete in any age division she's eligible for. So, if she wants to throw skills higher than level 1 or 2, she'd need to compete in the youth division. Notice only the Senior age division has a lower limit. But, just because she has one higher level skill does not mean she should compete in that level. You need to be an outstanding all around (jumps, motions, performance, specialty pass, etc.) to be competitive for the level you attempt.

MyGirlCheers,

Thanks for clarifying--I think that actually is what I was reading. And for the good edvice--she really only excels at the tumbling part at this point... Of course that is the part she really LOVES... Maybe getting to use her higher tumbling skills in competition would challenge her to work harder on some of her other skills.. :eek:) Maybe.

Back