Should I stay?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
May 28, 2015
ABOUT THE GYM:
Its a first year program with a great facility and pretty good coaches.
BACKGROUND:
So its a new new team with new people. I've heard not to try first year programs but I didn't listen. My mistake. It is a senior 4.2 with 21 girls. We have ad three people quit already. Unfortunately my mom has cancer and i feel like it is putting stress on her.
PROBLEMS I HAVE EXPERIENCED:
1. Attitudes- hmm we're teenagers yes we may have an attitude some days. But there are a select few girls who have some nasty attitudes. We have a long chat every practice about attitude. But it is always indirect more of a just in general type of talk so the attitudes continue.
2. Arguments- again we may argue about something but it seems like every few practices there are always people arguing about something. We have had one almost full out fist fight at practice. And there were no punishments given.
3. Attendance- Not the biggest problem. Hey people may be busy some practices. Not until recently we really didn't struggle with attendance. We had a Saturday competition that ended around ten o'clock and most of us had an hour or more drive home. We also have Sunday morning practice that wasn't cancelled and we had a total of five people not show up. We had to remark the routine without them because we had another competition the next Saturday. Not the biggest problem but there more.
4. Stunting- I understand as a base you get hit sometimes and may even get hurt. But we have had maybe a total of three maybe four concussions just in this season. I have gone home with major headaches from getting hit so much. As a 4.2 you have to double down. One of our flyers who is also my flyer, has no body control and will refuse to double down. But the coaches tell her to try it anyways. The main base in our group got knocked out pretty hard and I was nearly knocked out with her feet. Main base felt dizzy so they took her out and our group isn't going up and half of pyramid isn't going up. With competition tomorrow.
5. Passion- Since i have come to this gym i have lost my passion for cheer. I go home complaining to my mom about things she shouldn't be worried about. I nearly regret going to practice because of the things that happen there. It's not fun for me anymore. I just don't enjoy it like I use to.
6. Payments- I understand cheer is very expensive but we pay $310 to have all these unnecessary problems. My parents give up a lo to pay for cheer and to take me to practices and competitions.
THINGS THAT MAKE ME WANT TO STAY:
I have a phenomenal cheer little sister that I absolutely love to death and would do anything for. She is honestly the only reason I stay. But could I quit and still support her on the sidelines? I think i would just feel really guilty leaving her. She is a burst of joy.
THANKS TO ANYONE WHO READ ALL OF THIS! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

I think this is a decision only you can make. And I think you know the answer deep down.

But yes, you can still support your cheer little sister from the sidelines or even on a different team at a different gym. Athletes cheer on their friends on different teams all the time, even when they're in the same division.

5 out of 21 don't show up for a practice, that's a problem when u r paying a big amount of money to hopefully place well. Fist fight at practice? Huge problem. Sounds like no leadership or respect for coaches.
But it's your choice what u should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a similar boat last year but decided to stay after being humiliated due to the fact I thought I was being loyal. For me it was a big mistake. I no longer cheer as the next nearest gym is 2 hours away with the other almost 1 hour away. Tbh I lost my passion and my work drive for cheer. I advise leaving and trying to find an alternative

I was in a similar boat last year but decided to stay after being humiliated due to the fact I thought I was being loyal. For me it was a big mistake. I no longer cheer as the next nearest gym is 2 hours away with the other almost 1 hour away. Tbh I lost my passion and my work drive for cheer. I advise leaving and trying to find an alternative
Thanks! This helped a lot! I did decide to leave and the coaches were sad but they understood. They actually offered me a coaching position with their mini team!

Thanks! This helped a lot! I did decide to leave and the coaches were sad but they understood. They actually offered me a coaching position with their mini team!
Glad you made the right choice for you. I have for now switched to the ballroom dance world and have made a home that I never did find in cheer. Cheer taught me a lot especially team work but I'm glad to finally find something I do well in

I'm glad you decided to leave as well. As I was reading your post and trying to give you an objective response (before I saw that you'd already left) it didn't strike me that it was more than what you'd deal with on most squads (unfortunately). But once I got to stunting what I was reading shocked me! That sounds like some serious safety issues going on there, which is NOT OK.

Back