Is The Gap Growing?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2011
Is the gap between upper and lower level teams growing as the sport evolves?

Further, do you think the glorified level 5 teams cause an increase in the different amounts of attention paid to upper vs lower level teams? Or on the other hand do you think it adds to gym recognition as a whole and benefits the lower level teams?

I have to admit, as a previous cheerleader with little current connection to the sport I really only pay attention to the level 5 teams.

I've gone to one gyms showcase the past few years and it was sad to watch the amount of people who left when lower level teams were performing. The coach actually got on a the mic and encouraged the spectators to stay and watch because these teams worked just as hard. Very classy move and I agree, but to be honest I did choose which session to go based on which level 5 teams were performing.

Thoughts?

i think that everyone needs to remember that a good portion of today's lower level cheerleaders, are the future of level 5. so, without the lower levels there would be no 5's.

I think that level 5 tends to be the most popular. They're throwing the highest tumbling and stunts. They definitely get the most attention on the board. However, I don't necessarily expect a gyms lower level teams to be good, just because their upper levels are and vice versa. I am a fan of good cheerleading, whether it be at level 1 or level 5. You'll see threads on here regarding the lower levels. Most people admire all levels. The 5's get the attention because they're at the top.

I guess there's a huge difference of perspective when you're actually involved as an athlete or parent vs being a spectator. When I actually cheered I was more aware of the lower level teams and think I better appreciated them. As a spectator the level 5s are what's appealing

I guess there's a huge difference of perspective when you're actually involved as an athlete or parent vs being a spectator. When I actually cheered I was more aware of the lower level teams and think I better appreciated them. As a spectator the level 5s are what's appealing

Absolutely. As a coach, I'm aware of the competition my lower level teams will go against. There are plenty of lower level teams that I absolutely enjoy watching. I love watching level 5s. They're fun to watch. However, I only enjoy watching the good ones. The bad ones...well, I'd rather watch anything than them ;)

Back