High School Is This Normal?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'll try and keep this short but I don't think thats possible....
So as you know the school cheer season is coming to an end which means try outs are coming up soon or have already happened. I became captain of my school's freshman cheer team this year (last season) and just had serious shoulder surgery about a month ago. Surprisingly, I like school cheer but not for the reasons I think I should. I am a very shy person at school and being a cheerleader for my high school has helped me make friends. No, I am not doing it for the popularity! The squad is okay... only about 4 or 5 people can do back handsprings out of about 30 and they do compete. My recovery time for my injury is 9-12 months but my physical therapist said I will be ready by june :cheering:! It is just hard for me to see my friends (and enemies) who don't care that much about cheer as I do go to Varsity while I stay home and do practically nothing. Has anyone been through this type of situation? And what would you do?
P.S. Please don't get the wrong idea. I'm not doing school cheer to be popular. It just has helped me reach out and make friends.
I was also thinking of talking to the Var coach and seeing if she will save me a spot but I don't think that is possible because their strict about tryouts.
Thanks so much !

We've had injured girls tryout before. The coach for the most part knew their abilities before they got hurt. They pretty much made the team as an alternate, but she they had been on the team the year before as a regular member. They did the things that the could (cheer, dance, whatever) and then for tumbling I think they either just told the judges what they had prior to being hurt and I think a girl made a video of her jumps and stunting and tumbling one year. I'd talk to the Varsity coach and ask her what she would want you to do. I don't think she will "save you a spot", I think it would be more like you would be an alternate until you could do what you're required to do to be on Varsity and then some.

At my daughter's high school, if someone is injured with a medical restriction, they will use the scores from the previous years tryouts. This happened to a girl last year and they used her previous years scores and she made varsity!

After I tore my ACL I tried out with a video of my tumbling and jumps and performed the cheer and dance live. Maybe you could work something out with the coach.

Back